Migrating Database From MySQL to MsSql

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:15

Migrating Database From MySQL to MsSql

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello,

I just made an attempt at migrating a Sitefinity site using a MySQL database over to MsSql, but I am running into a few issues with key constraints.  I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I might be able to complete this migration successfully. 

Here are the steps I have followed thus far, along with the issues I am currently experiencing:

1. Install Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for MySQL
2. I used mostly default settings when migrating the MySQL table structures over to an empty MsSql database
3. After the table structures were migrated and synched over to MsSql, I migrated the data from the MySQL Sitefinity database over to the newly created MsSql database.  This completed with all items showing 100% success rate
4. Next, I ran through all tables in the MsSql database that the migration assistant created, and updated the following data types (to match what Sitefinity expects to find):
    a. varchar(40) --> uniqueidentifier (only on ID columns)
    b. binary(1) --> tinyint
5. Lastly, I modified the connectionString found inside /wwwroot/SITENAME/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/DataConfig.config to point to the MsSql database instead of the MySQL database

After all of that was complete, I tried load the site, but ran into the following exception:

The constraint 'PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id' is being referenced by table 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map', foreign key constraint 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map$ref_sf_scrty_rts_sf_prmssns_nhrtnc_mp_sf_prmssns_inheritance_map'.
Could not drop constraint. See previous errors.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: The constraint 'PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id' is being referenced by table 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map', foreign key constraint 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map$ref_sf_scrty_rts_sf_prmssns_nhrtnc_mp_sf_prmssns_inheritance_map'.
Could not drop constraint. See previous errors.

Here's the stack trace:

[SQLException: The constraint 'PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id' is being referenced by table 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map', foreign key constraint 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map$ref_sf_scrty_rts_sf_prmssns_nhrtnc_mp_sf_prmssns_inheritance_map'.
Could not drop constraint. See previous errors.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.StatementImp.executeUpdate(String sql) +420
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.StatementImp.execute(String sql) +9
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.ExecuteSqlScript(String script, Connection con, SqlDriver sqlDriver, Boolean noShredder) +459

[OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'ALTER TABLE [sf_permissions_inheritance_map] DROP CONSTRAINT [PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id]' : The constraint 'PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id' is being referenced by table 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map', foreign key constraint 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map$ref_sf_scrty_rts_sf_prmssns_nhrtnc_mp_sf_prmssns_inheritance_map'.
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.ExceptionWrapper.Throw() +13
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.throwBuildException(String str, Exception e) +47
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.ExecuteSqlScript(String script, Connection con, SqlDriver sqlDriver, Boolean noShredder) +639
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.runScript(String script) +142
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.ExecuteScriptTask.execute() +359

[OpenAccessException: Telerik.OpenAccess.OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'ALTER TABLE [sf_permissions_inheritance_map] DROP CONSTRAINT [PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id]' : The constraint 'PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id' is being referenced by table 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map', foreign key constraint 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map$ref_sf_scrty_rts_sf_prmssns_nhrtnc_mp_sf_prmssns_inheritance_map'.
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.OA.OpenAccessConnection.UpgradeDatabase(Database database) +309
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.OA.OpenAccessConnection.UpdateMetadata(MetadataSource metadataSource, String moduleName, List`1 dynamicTypesToRegister, IOpenAccessMetadataProvider provider) +2873

[Exception: Unable to upgrade database schema metadataSource provided by 'SitefinityDynamicBase': Telerik.OpenAccess.OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'ALTER TABLE [sf_permissions_inheritance_map] DROP CONSTRAINT [PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id]' : The constraint 'PK_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_sf_permissions_inheritance_map_id' is being referenced by table 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map', foreign key constraint 'sf_security_roots_sf_permissions_inheritance_map$ref_sf_scrty_rts_sf_prmssns_nhrtnc_mp_sf_prmssns_inheritance_map'.
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessModuleBuilderDataProvider_7c30230f96f84aeba49e498c6687f2d7.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +405
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +1976
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +74
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.SetProvider(String providerName, String transactionName) +526
   Telerik.Sitefinity.DynamicModules.Builder.ModuleBuilderManager..ctor() +14

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +117
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +247
   System.Activator.CreateInstance() +88
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.GetManager(String providerName, String transactionName) +125
   Telerik.Sitefinity.DynamicModules.Builder.Install.ModuleInstaller.RegisterAllPipes() +38
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Publishing.PublishingModule.Initialize(ModuleSettings settings) +108
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.SystemManager.InitializeModule(ModuleSettings settings, InstallContext installContext, Boolean start) +573
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.SystemManager.Initialize() +1231
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes) +300
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +386
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +114
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModulesCommon() +192
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +1504
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +348
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +200
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +286

There are apparently issues with every single key constraint that was setup for the inheritance maps.  Has anyone seen this before?  Does anyone know what I might be doing incorrectly in the process that I've followed, or have any suggestions on how I can get this working?

Thank you,

Chris

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2015 00:00

Hi is there any answer to this post? kinf od need it the soonest

Thanks, 

Syarif

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Oct-2015 00:00

Hello Syarif,

A migration from one database platform to another might work, but is not officially supported. We haven't tested such a migration, which means doing so could carry potential risks to your site.

One idea of how this migration could be possible is to transfer the data from one Sitefinity site to another via API usage. By creating a Sitefinity site with a MsSql backend database and then, using the Sitefinity API, get data from one site and make it available in the other site. This could be done by connecting the providers for modules and make them available in the MsSql-backed site.

For example, to connect the News module providers between the two sites:

1. Add a connection string to the MySql site by going to Administration > Settings > Advanced > Data > Connection strings and create new connection string "Test".

2. Go to Administration > Settings > Advanced > News > Providers and create new provider, copy the settings from the default NewsProvider and add two Parameters to the new provider:

Key: applicationName
Value: /News

and another parameter:

Key: connectionString
Value: Test (this is taken from step 1)

Restart the application and now the news module will have the data available from the other database.

With this to transfer the data from the other database to this one, by calling the provider. For example:

NewsManager.GetManager("MyNewNewsProvider");

This will query the data from one provider, which you can then and transfer it to the other.

Revision history can also use the above approach. The manager class for working with revision history is VersionManager and also providers can be added from Administration > Settings > Advanced > Version.

Again I would like to mention that a scenario such as this has not been tested on our end.

Regards,
Angel Moret
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed