Add Custom Properties while create/edit page.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 11:18

Add Custom Properties while create/edit page.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi
I am developing the site by using sitefinity 4.4 version. I want to add custom properties(thumbnail image selector) while creating the page. How is it possible. please give some example with sample code link.

Thanks 
Pravat Sharma

Pravat,

While almost everything else in Sitefinity has custom fields, I don't believe that pages have made an appearance on that list yet.

Can you elaborate on your plans? Maybe we can come up with something clever. :)

Well you can have custom fields for pages, but there's just no UI for it...yet anyway :)  I have a custom field to define CSS classes on pages, but I needed to make a whole separate control to just set those properties.  So it is doable, just not desirable.

I just put custom values in the description field with separators, and parse them out.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Aug-2012 00:00

Every time I read posts like this, I just have to think that SF is just not there yet. The custom fields issue with lists has been there for years and is still there in SF 5x. How hard is it to have custom fields per list and not have to have the same custom field across EVERY list. How useful is it when you add a custom field, you have to have the same custom field across every list in the system.? Nobody is thinking... 

@Solomon
  I feel your pain...Ive also had the custom field per list on my wishlist forever too.  The module builder surely helps, but not when I want the functionality of the Lists control itself (Also the lists backend masterview is more feature rich than the module builder)

@Steve
Well you can have custom fields for pages, but there's just no UI for it...yet anyway :)"

Yet? -- LOL... That might give someone the impression it's going to happen, but seeing as how it's been a PITS entry (in various forms) since early V4, I wouldn't be holding my breath for it.

I like Telerik, but I really do find their inability to complete and polish the details of their products, totally frustrating at times. It's like they always get something 80-90% done, and then get side-tracked by something new and more interesting... never finishing the job, and assuming that devs will just work-around the issues... but who has that sort of time ?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Aug-2012 00:00

@MB
  ...its wishful thinking I know :/  Once things are in the get enhanced\polished at a snails pace (if ever).  For example i've been waiting to have multiple template support in the download list since day 1, and bring it up every beta pre-release.

Vassil has a blog post asking when is a feature really done.  I replied to him directly with almost your exact post about the 80-90% done then forgotten.  There's rarely polish before we're onto the next thing.  

I'm all for increasing sales by feature matching\beating everyone else, but us guys\gals who have to work with the current buggy\feature missing 700 outstanding PITS issue CMS are going stir crazy!  I know the roadmaps dont have 100% of the things we get on release, and 5.2 is only a few months out, but I had a partial meltdown when I saw the features coming, while I'm sitting here with 8 custom module builder modules whos content can't be filtered by taxon, sorted in the UI, unable to edit trivial basic label data on the fields, etc etc...but here comes content personalization...great.

Someone else put out a post that I agreed with this week echoing the same thing.  I can't work with it for a day without some new roadblock or strange bug.  I'm working on 3 projects at the same time, ENT, Std, SBE, and I feel like I'm abusing the poor support guys (thanks much btw if you're reading this)....but what choice to I have.  I refuse to "hack" stuff in with blog post fixes.  Look if someone took the time to write up a fix and post it, why not just fix it in the codebase for the next release.  I find once things have hacky workarounds (mapping external templates, etc etc) then there's less or no incentive to actually fix the thing and it exposes me to new release YSODs b/c the hack doesn't have a unit test on their end.

Hell, today I actually submitted a fix for a PITS issue which should be accepted into 5.2 because I was tired of waiting for it to never be fixed.

Blah blah rant over...just give us a custom field page UI please.

@Steve

"
but us guys\gals who have to work with the current buggy\feature missing 700 outstanding PITS issue CMS are going stir crazy!"

Yep, couldn't agree more.

And meanwhile, the 5.2 Roadmap notes say... "The Sitefinity team will fix some of the most popular stuff logged in PITS."

Really? A bug or missing function needs to be voted as popular before it gets fixed ??

I didn’t really want to hijack the thread (although I know I did... LOL) or start a ‘I hate Sitefinity’ hissy-fit... because I actually think it’s a good product, that could potentially be a great product.

It was more a ‘I love Sitefinity, but these type of issues really frustrate me’ comment... however, I do find this comment in the road-map to be absolutely exasperating.

@MB
Yeah, PITS isn't Uservoice, there's not a huge bunch of people browsing around and voting on things they deem to be important.  Its a slow annoyingly animated silverlight interface which makes people not WANT to browse it....and yeah, something with 2 votes might be super important to 90% of users, but it's buried in the bowels of PITS never to be voted on again unless support responds with "There is already a PITS issue on this topic LINK"

...bah, don't get me started on pits I could write for days ;)

The people use PITS  and the Interface is great.

but it is hard to find it. And the embedding inside a Website is wrong place.

Just give us the option to use it OOB and it would be superfine.

No, they don't and it's not...
Top Kendo Uservoice Issue: 552 votes
Top SF Issue: 103 (drops off drastically after that)...and that 103 item has been open for well over a year where the uservoice one has been up for 6 months.

It's so hard to navigate in fact there's quite a few duplicate issues in it.

It's a fixed height scrollable silverlight window, it's terrible.  So it might be a good silverlight interface, but that doesn't say much.  It's irritating to have a page load, then sit and stare at ANOTHER loading icon while silverlight decides to populate.

You say
"It's a fixed height scrollable silverlight window, it's terrible.  So it might be a good silverlight interface, but that doesn't say much.  It's irritating to have a page load, then sit and stare at ANOTHER loading icon while silverlight decides to populate."

And thats the Problem. Use great tool wrong embedded in a website.
Add right click to use it OOB for Users would help here. And for webguys build an Website which scrolls down 100 meters :)   

Now now play nice you two :)

I know PITS is an issue in itself because Silverlight doesn't play nice across all platforms and browsers and the interface isn't the most web intuitive... but unless we all start using it, why would Telerik devote manpower to upgrade/change it?

For bugs and issues, the most important requirements would be speed (to retrieve/verify bugs) and ease of use.

Sitefinity uses the 'bugs and issue' forums for the latter but the first requirement is definately not met. Both due to the technology and the implementation.

End of story - now go vote! :) 

Yoy say
"Both due to the technology and the implementation."
but it´s only the implementation. You can see that a web guy done the work to place it on this Website.

Like in Sitefinity the Upload Panel.
PS: The Attach Webupload is brocken in many Browsers here (Design).

But this is the nature of Web and Browsers. :)

This thread is closed