[sitefinity 4.4] smtp configuration

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:13

[sitefinity 4.4] smtp configuration

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2012 00:00

Hello,

I have a litle problem with the smtp configuration : it seems the domain name I enter in the smtpDomain of the smtp Settings panel is not used when I tried to send an email.

The smtp server answer "Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname". I tried to send an email by telnet, all work fine.

I asked the log of the smtp server and it seems Sitefinity send the IP of the server in place of the domain I set up.

Here the line of the systemConfig.config file :

<smtpSettings host="mysmtp.server" domain="my.domain" DefaultSenderEmailAddress="info@my.domain" />

I tried to send an email programatically : same error...

Any idea ?

thank you

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2012 00:00

Are you attempting to send an email using the Email Campaigns module? If so, this module has a separate set of SMTP settings that must also be configured (even if they match the ones you've already set in System config).

For more information on setting up both SMTP settings, see this guide: Set up SMTP & Email campaigns settings

Hope this is helpful, please let me know if this doesn't resolve your issue

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2012 00:00

Hello,

We are trying to setup smtp for the registration widget. But as it doesn't work we configure smtp for email campaign folowing the instruction you give.
In Administration > Settings > Email campaign
when we save the data we have this message that shows up  in sitefinity backoffice:

"Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname".

When we try to connect to the smtp server via telenet using the same info it works well.

Contacting our smtp provider they tell us that our application is sending the IP of the machine and not its hostname. That's why the connection is rejected. How can we configure sitefinity to send the machine domain and not the IP ?

(we have a standard license activated for the domain)

Thanks.

<mailSettings>
        <smtp deliveryMethod="network">
          <network clientDomain="FQDN"/>
        </smtp>
</mailSettings>
Well, I resolved my problem.

Actually, it seems Sitefinity was not the cause. As explained above the client hostname sent in parameter of the HELO command was invalid.

I found a fix in adding to my webconfig file.

Anyway thank for your answer. A question still remains, why an option Domain in the smtp setting of the admin page if it's not in use ?

I apologize for misunderstanding your original question. I'll forward this to the team for investigation to see if it is something that needs to be fixed.

I'm glad you did get it working and thank you kindly for reporting this issue!

This thread is closed