Removing inherited fields from parent controller

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:42

Removing inherited fields from parent controller

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jun-2012 00:00

I've created a custom widget and everything works great however I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to remove the inherited fields fromt he parent widget: clientIDMode, EnableViewState, ID, EnableTheming.  Are those necessary?  Just seems confusing for the user.

On top of that, how can I customize the order of the form inputs?

Thank you!

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jun-2012 00:00

Hello Travis,

When you click Edit on a widget, its designer is shown.
There are 2 types of designers that most of the widgets build-in widgets have:
1. Simple - this designer is customized to use the fields that you need the most in a user friendly interface.
2. Advanced - this designer is automatically generated and contains all of the properties that a widget has, including the inherited properties.

What you are seeing in your widget is the default (advanced) designer. You can create your own (simple) designer that should fit your needs. I would recommend that you use Sitefinity Thunder to generate a designer for your widget. Sitefinity Thunder will generate a designer which contains the selected properties in the order in which you tell it. After the designer is created, you can open and edit the generated files if you wish to customize the simple designer. After this you will have to build your project and when you click on the Edit button, you will see the newly created designer. You will still have the option to open the Advanced designer just like in the build-in widgets.

Please note that when you create a designer for a widget using Sitefinity Thunder, you will have to create it in the same project as the widget itself.

Please let me know if you have further problems creating widgets and widget designers.

All the best,
Marin Atanasov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed