Adding Properties to Pages

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 18:14

Adding Properties to Pages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jun-2012 00:00

I have a request that is kind of out there and I've tried searching the forums for some help but and nothing seems to be what I want or I am not using good search terms.  I am using the Sitefinity 5 SP1.

Problem 1)  I'd like to add two custom properties to the Page Properties.  One needs to be a checkbox and the other needs to be a textbox.  I'd like these properties to be stored with the page in the database if possible. Is this possible?  Where is some documentation on how to do this?

Problem 2)  I want to write a handler that takes the request and then calls the page service to find the page requested so I can read the two properties on the page and then do something before the page is actually loaded.  I know this is doable but is it really recommended.

Thanks for any input that can be given.

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jul-2012 00:00

Hi Brett,

Did you get anywhere with this? I have the same requirement!

Andy

Is this what you are after ?
http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/details/Issue=5449
It still seems to be under consideration.

As for an API solution, see if this threads helps
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity/developing-with-sitefinity/custom-fields-in-pages-futureproof.aspx

Thanks MB. Yes that's what I'm after.
Looks like it's been in consideration since 2011 so I won't hold my breath.

I'll have a look at the API solution, thanks.

Yes, I am still in the same boat and I have read the links that MB has sent to you.  I've been working with SF for about 8 months and it seems like they are more focused on adding new stuff to the product (which is great) but not focused so much on bugs or fleshing out old features (which is not so good).

In the meantime, I have to come up with a convoluted solution to handle what could have been easily done if this method is available.

Hi Brett,

I'm working on this now but would be very appreciative if you can share any code or details on your work around?

Many thanks,

Andy

My client has a separate mobile site and there are certain pages in SF they want to automatically redirect to the mobile equivalent.  I wanted to add a checkbox so that the user can indicate the SF site has a mobile page and then open a textbox so they could put the redirect URL.

What I have to do instead now, is create module that does the exact same thing but it isn't associated with  the page.  In the module, the Content Managers have to put in the SF URL and the Mobile URL.  Then I have have a handler that checks to see if the request is a mobile UserAgent.  If it is, I see if the address in SF matches any of the URL's in the module.  If they do, I then redirect them to the Mobile URL in the module.

If this is something similar to what you are doing, I could post some code to help you.

Thanks Brett for the info.

We need to have pages show in a list (like a blog roll) but to include an Icon and Summary text for the page. I think I'm going to have to create a new module that wraps the Page functionality, but I'm not sure how this will be available through the admin as we need to be able to click & drag modules on to it etc like is possible with Pages.

Andy

This thread is closed