asking help for developing in sitefinity

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 11:47

asking help for developing in sitefinity

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jul-2012 00:00

I have a lot of doubts in developing with sitefinity. I have posted a lot of questions in the developer forum. I didn't get any good reply which help me to meet my requirements. I am a beginner in sitefinity and also in the s/w field. So I asked my doubts in a simple way, not askd technically complicated questions.

I dont know why I'm not getting proper reply for my doubts. I dont know all the functionalities which I want are available in sitefinity.

I have more doubts in
1) user-role permission setting,
2) custom module creation (or custom content  module ... I dont know what to tell for that.. Hope you got what i meant.) and using, editing ( at the time of page creation can I create new contents or edit the already created contents - like editing a control block ) etc..,
3) work flow creation, customizing work flow ( to bring the functionalities like resending the page only to the user who created it if the page is rejected by the publisher).

I dont know how to achieve all these requirements. Please anybody help me.. I ddnt get any proper answer from any of the documents or webinars available.

If these are not achievable in sitefinity, Please let me know...

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jul-2012 00:00

Hey AA,

Sorry you feel you didn't get any good replies so far...

Pavel seemed to give a pretty straight forward and detailed answer on how to set those permissions, may I ask what's unclear about user-role permissions? 

The drop custom module builder+instant add content can't be done because its by design, as Josh pointed out.

Work flows by design, are defined on a permission level, not person level as the documentation cleary states:
 " When you click Reject publishing, the system returns the content item or page for editing on the previous level. All users with the proper permissions can edit the item. "

Documentation link1 and link2.

The first can be done and is explained, number 2 and 3 can't be done because of the way Sitefinity is designed. So forgive me for asking, but can you perhaps elaborate on what doubts you still have?

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jul-2012 00:00

Hi Jochem,
    Thank you very much for your reply.

Still I'm having doubts in sitefinity. Please clarify my doubts about user-role permission setting.
I'll explain it..
              I have created a role TestDesigner. And I set permission for this TestDesigner exactly as same as the Designer role which is already in the sitefinity 5.1 What happening is that, If I'm logged in as a user in Designer role I can see the menus Page Templates and Widget Templates inside Design menu on the dash board. But at the same time if I'm logged in as a user who is in the TestDesigner role, I am only be able to see the Widget Templates menu inside Design menu on the dash board. ( The thing to be noticed is that I set permissions for the TestDesigner exactly as same as the Designer role ).

And If I set permissions to access Module builder, Test custom module (a custom module created by using module builder),... for my TestDesigner. I'm not able to view these menus on the dash board when I logged in as a user in TestDesigner role. ( This issue is not only for Module builder and the Test custom module.. Its also there for other menus.)
If I set all the permissions for my TestDesigner also, the main menus like Analytics, Pages,...... are not able to view on the dash board.

Thanking you

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jul-2012 00:00

Hey AA,

Euhm Pavel explained that the 'TestDesigner' example was a bug no?
Which means you've not done anything wrong, but the system does and they'll fix it - the PITS link he provided is so you can track the status of that issue..

Your other concern seems answered as well:
"On your second question - To set permissions for a custom module you need to go to Administration->Permissions->Your Custom Module. Set the desired functionalities by clicking on Change, from the menu choose Selected roles or users -> Add roles and users. "

Hope it helps...
Jochem.

This thread is closed