Pluggable Module VS Template or Tutorial for SF 5?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:48

Pluggable Module VS Template or Tutorial for SF 5?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Aug-2012 00:00

Hello,

I'm looking at building a pluggable module, and I ran into this page here: www.sitefinity.com/.../adding-new-modules-pluggable-bare-bones.html, which provides a visual studio template. However, it looks like it is for Sitefinity 3, not 5. Since the file structure and such is out of date, I'm wondering if there's another template kicking around that's more up to date, or if there's a tutorial you can potentially point me to. I've done some searching but I have not found much.

Hi Aaron,

Modules in Sitefinity are now indeed different from the previous 3.7 version. There are actually several ways to extend Sitefinity with custom modules, and it really depends on your needs.

The easist way is to simply use the module builder (see Creating and using custom modules in the docs) which creates custom data types that inherit from Content (the basic Sitefinity type) and therefore plug right into the Sitefinity environment. This means you get everything that a regular sitefinity module has (admin interface, permissions, etc) out of the box.

If you are needing a module that works with custom code and data, you can acheive this with an Intra-site module. This allows you to wrap your logic and code into user controls, and install them into the backend pages of Sitefinity so they exist alongside the rest of the sitefinity admin.

For more information on that, take a look at the Create a Testimonials intra-site module documentation.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for putting me in the right place for the docs! :). I had a look at both links, and I'm checking out the tutorial  to get more familiar with the module system. This should get me going, thanks.

This thread is closed