Designer throwing null error

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:01

Designer throwing null error

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Sep-2012 00:00

I have a dll with a group of widgets embedded into it and I have embedded the designers and js files as well but I keep getting this error when I try to launch the designer to edit properties for a widget. I have the virtual path configuration setup and at this point I don't know where to go further.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: stream

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: stream

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: stream]
   System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(Stream stream, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize) +12554849
   System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath) +320
   System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse() +11336826
   System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType() +135
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) +189
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() +265
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() +46
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) +580
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +619
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +203
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound) +189
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp) +56
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlUtilities.LoadControl(String virtualPath, Page page) +58
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.VirtualPathTemplate.InstantiateIn(Control container, PlaceHoldersCollection placeHolders) +160
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateContainer(ITemplate template) +54
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.get_Container() +60
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateChildControls() +62
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +182
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +60
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4201

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Oct-2012 00:00

Hi,

The error message is thrown because the virtual path is registered incorrectly (a mistake in the path or the resolver type
the virtual path should be registered like

Virtual Path: ~/mypath/*
Resource location: SitefinityWebApp (name of the assembly)
ResolverName: EmbeddedResourceResolver

), the application was not restarted after registering the virtual path (it is required to activate the virtual path) or the file that is loade trough virtual path doesn`t have its built action set to embedded resource (right click the file ->properties->Build action).

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jun-2017 00:00

I am having the same issue with the exact same stack trace.  I am setting up my local environment on a new computer and am getting this error every time that I try to open the local website.  I tried to follow the instructions above, but they are a little vague.   Where exactly do you change the build action for an entire solution?

Best

This thread is closed