LINQ to SQL in Sitefinity CMS

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:43

LINQ to SQL in Sitefinity CMS

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2012 00:00

Hello,

I am having a project created in Sitefinity 5.0
I want to create a page having a list of members. This list should be attached to my linq to sql (.dbml) file.
But in the admin dashboard of the CMS, when I go to create Page ->Widgets->Data, I dont see anything for LINQ to SQL. It has XML, SiteMap and Opensource data sources.

Please advice, how can I achieve this?

With regards,
James

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2012 00:00

Linq2Sql was DOA, it's a turd, just turf it :)

OpenAccess has a linq2sql->openaccess converter blogs.telerik.com/.../converting-l2s-model-to-openaccess-domain-model.aspx use that, then you can use the OpenAccess datasource.  Openaccess is both free and lightyears ahead of L2Sql.  Code-wise, it's all just Linq too, so not a heck of a lot of difference.

Or easier just use sitefinity thunder to create a new custom widget, and do all the binding and stuff in code to your old L2S model.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Oct-2012 00:00

Hi Steve,

Thanks for response.
Actually I want to create a page with a member listing .
I used the "List" widget from "Pages" section. But I am not able to connect that to my sql db, for getting members data.

So , as you suggested, I will use this OpenAccess. But how am I supposed to connect with my list in the page?

If you know about any blog on that, I will be much obliged.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
James Anderson
Founder- DMust Technologies

Can you explain in a bit more detail?...you might not even need a L2S or OA model for this in SF5.

Do you mean a list of "Members" as in sf user accounts, or list a separate static list?

Hi Steve,

I am using SiteFinity CMS 5.0.
I have created some static pages from SiteFinity dashboard system.
Now I want to create a page with members listing.
These members are in my sql server database 2010 R2. DB name PPSCart.
I want to use a data source connection to link the dashboard system with my sql server.

Is this something I should do from the VS2010 project? Or can it be done directly in the Sitefinity dashboard?

Hope this is more clear now. But please do let me know if you need more details.

Thanks again for replying.

Regards,
James

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2012 00:00

Hi Steve,

Please help. Awaiting your response on the same.

Regards
James

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2012 00:00

Sorry, the forums not having email notifications really sucks...wasn't ignoring :)

I would just use Sitefinity thunder to create a custom widget and use that.  However if you want to use JUST the UI it should be possible I think.

So in the attached images you could add in your own datasource...perhaps just an old-school SqlDataSource.  Once dropped onto the page you can edit it to set the properties, then drop on a RadGrid, and set it's datasource to the ID of the datasource control

...easiest thing though...use thunder and just wire it up in code, WAY more configurable.  I like member listings to be in a Listview not grid format.  So you cant really drag\drop the RadListView and configure it's templates in the sf page editor.

This thread is closed