Random Site Controls for Sitefinity Installation Instruction

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 23:31

Random Site Controls for Sitefinity Installation Instructions

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Nov-2012 00:00

Hey I'm brand new to Sitefinity and .NET so I don't know how to get the Random Site Controls Addon Installed on Sitefinity. It would be great to have a walk through of some sort that would let us know how to get this working. Could anyone provide some help?
www.sitefinity.com/.../random-site-controls-for-sitefinity-

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2012 00:00

Hi Richard,

When you download the controls package, you can navigate to the folder called ResourcesToInclude, which has several files in it. There is a text file called: Installation Instructions.txt, which reads:

Random Site Controls Installation Instructions
-----------------------------------------------

1) Copy the RandomSiteControls.dll to your project
2) Add in the Toolbox entries from the included ToolboxesConfig.config by either COPYING the entires into your own, or by adding them with the Sitefinity backend Settings UI at Settings->Advanced->Toolboxes->Toolboxes
3) Add in the virtual path entry as seen in "VirtualPathSettingsConfig.config"...again by copying the entry into your own, or using the backend UI located at Settings->Advanced->VirtualPathSettings->Virtual paths->Create New
4) Add this to the global.asax to register the section
    protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)

Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Initialized += new EventHandler<Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ExecutedEventArgs>(Bootstrapper_Initialized);

void Bootstrapper_Initialized(object sender, Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ExecutedEventArgs e)

Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Config.RegisterSection<RandomSiteControls.Configuration.SitefinitySteveConfig>();

5) Recompile your project, or recycle your App_Pool for the settings to take effect

**Optional**
To see the Widget and layout custom icons check the Theme folder in the zip file for the image and CSS.  It's up to you where\how to load the CSS, and you might need to update the file to point to where you put the images too.

Please see the included videos to understand how the widgets work...should be straight forward.

Enjoy,
Steve

All required files that the above file refers to can be found in the ResourcesToInclude folder.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Nov-2012 00:00

Hi Victor,

When the instructions say "1) Copy the RandomSiteControls.dll to your project", what folder does this exactly go to?

Thanks,
Maria

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Nov-2012 00:00

Hey Guys, I'll come up with a video tonight and post to youtube, it's really quite easy :)

So drop the dll into your bin folder, then reference it in visual studio (in your case)

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Nov-2012 00:00

That would be great Steve. Thank you so  much!

Maria

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2012 00:00

Were you able to create that video? That will be awesome Steve! 

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2012 00:00

Hey guys, sorry been busy...I have it uploading right now in dropbox, I'll publish to youtube shortly

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2012 00:00
Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2012 00:00

Awesome! Thanks Steve. I'm so glad you've put this together.

Unfortunately for us It looks like we have version 5.1.3450.0 and when I try to run the application after following the steps up to the creation of the Global.ascx part it won't run. 

What do I need to do to get it working? We are planning on moving to 5.2 here in a week or so. Should I wait until then to try the 5.2.3700 version that is in the folder?

Hey Richard,
Did you download the 5.1.3450 version from the link above and use that instead of "the latest" :)

Ah Brilliant. I didn't see that that was there. I've put it in and it seems to be loading up fine now with the 5.1.3450 files. Thanks! I'll let you know how I do with the rest of the process.

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Nov-2012 00:00

Ok so that video was critical. I wouldn't ever have figured all of that out, so thanks so much! 

I'm able to add all of the different controls, but I'm having one issue that I think visitors to the site will get annoyed at. I have 3 different tabs - the amount of content within varies greatly and the tabs are down quite a ways on the page. When you click on the tabs, scroll down to see the content, and then click a different tab, it jumps the page back up almost to the top almost as if the page is reloading (though I know its not). I'm not sure what the problem is or how to stop it from jumping like it is. Any thoughts? 

Do you mind recording a Jing video and showing me what you mean...and\or providing a link to see it in action?

Sure. Here's a video of what's happening. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.
www.dropbox.com/.../tabStrip_jump.mp4

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Sep-2015 00:00

Hey, I'm brand new to Sitefinity and i have used Random Site Control v8.1 with Sitefinity v8.1 but it is not working and showing error i.e. "Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=8.1.5800.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)". Please help me to resolve this problem.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Sep-2015 00:00

You might be using a hotfix build or something, just find the dll version you're using and assembly bind up to where you are.

Link

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Apr-2016 00:00

I've just installed RandomSiteControls as I needed to use the TabStrip.  Everything works very well, but when I change the theme/skin option, nothing changes, no matter what I choose.  Are these theme/skins built into the control, could I be missing them?  I use the RadTabStrip in a template with the options MetroTouch and RenderLightWeight which I like the look of, so ideally would like to set it the same.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Apr-2016 00:00

@David 

What is set here? 

http://<site>/Sitefinity/Administration/Settings/Advanced/Sitefinitysteve

Thanks Steve, setting the skin here works.  I was trying to set it in the control.

I've noticed an issue when I drop in a control that uses a RadGrid.  The CheckList filtering doesn't work.  Setting the filter causes a postback and within the tabstrip this doesn't work.  I was going to try to put this in a RadAjaxLoadingPanel, but there is already a manager on the page?

No just needed to enable viewstate on the page properties.  Time for bed.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Apr-2016 00:00

Hey, I'm brand new to Sitefinity and i have used Random Site Control v8.1 with Sitefinity v8.1 

This thread is closed