User Customizable Home Pages for Intranet

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:02

User Customizable Home Pages for Intranet

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2013 00:00

We use Sitefinity for our corporate intranet and the main feature of the home page is that users can add/remove/arrange widgets on their homepage (similar to iGoogle).  The way it was implemented by the previous developer though, is that the "home" page is NOT a Sitefinity page.  The home page in Sitefinity has no content and a redirecting page was created and configured to have multiple URLs, including ~/home.  So, browsing to the intranet redirects to a page outside of Sitefinity.

I would like to implement a solution that allows for the same functionality but uses a standard Sitefinity page for the home page as I make the switch to using SSO via Ldap using a Security Token Service (as detailed here).  I'm wondering if anyone has either done this or has suggestions that would allow users to add custom widgets to the home page via the Front End. 

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Michael,

What you want to achieve would require custom development only, since backend widget are contentView based and work with backend configurations. You will not be able to drag and drop them on a front-end page. You can create your own custom control and implement a drag and drop functionality, using radDockZone. Keep in mind, however, that this will most probably slow down the page. 

Kind regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jan-2013 00:00

I understand it would required custom development, I was looking for a few different options for implementations.  Ivan Osmak actually made a suggestion that is definitely doable... I'm not sure it's the most ideal, but it's definitely workable.  His suggestion was to take our current home page and turn it into an ascx control, make it a widget and then drop it on the home page.  I don't know if anyone else has any other ideas, but I'm open to all suggestions.

This thread is closed