Change UserName to First Name and Last Name in Forums

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:32

Change UserName to First Name and Last Name in Forums

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Feb-2013 00:00

I need to change the "List of Forums", "List of Threads" and "Posts of One Thread" templates to display the users actual first and last names rather than user names. How can this be done?

I know this is probably not normally recommended, however this is an extranet type of application so the users all know each other by name.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Feb-2013 00:00

Hi,

By default the Nickname field gets populated automatically from the UserName  field value, unless you have specified otherwise.

To elaborate a bit further on the above statement, please check the following information:

By default we use the following templateable control for displaying the data:

<sf:Conditional If='<%# Eval("UserProfileUrl") == null %>' runat="server">

<Then>

<%# Eval("UserNickname") %>

</Then>

<Else>

<a href='<%# Eval("UserProfileUrl") %>' class="sfforumUser">

<span>

<%# Eval("UserNickname") %>

</span>

</a>

</Else>

</sf:Conditional>

where UserNickname would be resolved from the user's profile:

UserNickname = processor.GetUserNickname(thread.Owner)

which gets the user profile for the passed owner
if the passed id is null or empty we return Nickname "Anonymous"
if the passed id is correct we retrieve the UserProfile object for this user, and retrieve the Nickname directly from the profile
if the passed id is correct but there is no profile for this user we return Nickname "Missing user"

Hope you find the above information useful

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Feb-2013 00:00

Thanks for the response Boyan, I'm new to Sitefinity and still trying to figure out how it functions. I'm afraid I'm having difficulty seeing how what you've posted will help me replace the users Nickname with their actualy first and last name. Could you elaborate a little?

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Feb-2013 00:00

Hello Gregg,

I apologize if I have introduced some ambiguity with my previous response. I was trying to elaborate on the mechanism we use for the actual displaying of the value you want to change - by default Sitefinity will always use the UserProfile information, and to be more specific - the Nickname field. You can edit the users' Nicknames and set them to be equal to the FirstName and LastName, so you'll get this value displayed on the forums.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Feb-2013 00:00

So our only option is to go into all 1000 user accounts and manually change their nickname to match their real names. And to watch for any new users that sign up and do the same for them? Are you saying that there is no programmatic way for me to pull the users real name rather than their nickname? That makes this CMS seem to be a bit heavy handed.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2013 00:00

Hello Gregg,

Thnak you for your feedback.

Please note that as with any other Forums solution, Sitefinity also uses the Nickname field of the user's profile for displaying the forum nickname.

For your conveninece please find below a code sample that will attempt at achieving two tasks:
1. Create a UserProfile for any users that do not have a profile
2. Update the Nickname in the user's profile to match the user's FirstName, or any desired value

//Get the collection of registered providers
            var providers = UserManager.GetManager().Providers;
            var nickname = "";
            foreach (var provider in providers)

//Load managers
                UserManager customproviderUsersManager = UserManager.GetManager(provider.Name);
                customproviderUsersManager.Provider.SuppressSecurityChecks = true;
                UserProfileManager profileManager = UserProfileManager.GetManager();
                profileManager.Provider.SuppressSecurityChecks = true;

//Get all users for this provider
                var customproviderUsers = customproviderUsersManager.GetUsers();
                foreach (var user in customproviderUsers)

if (user.FirstName.IsNullOrEmpty())

nickname = user.Email;

else

nickname = user.FirstName;

//Load the user profile for each user
                    var userProfile = profileManager.GetUserProfile(user.Id, typeof(SitefinityProfile).FullName);
                    //If there's no profile, create one
                    if (userProfile == null)

SitefinityProfile sfProfile = profileManager.CreateProfile(user, Guid.NewGuid(), typeof(SitefinityProfile)) as SitefinityProfile;
                        sfProfile.FirstName = user.FirstName;
                        sfProfile.LastName = user.LastName;
                        sfProfile.SetValue("Nickname", nickname);

userProfile.SetValue("Nickname", nickname);

//Commit changes
                profileManager.SaveChanges();

Please feel free to modify the solution as per your specific requirements - you can notice the
Copy Code
if (user.FirstName.IsNullOrEmpty())

nickname = user.Email;

else

nickname = user.FirstName;

lines which are responsible for passing the NickName value to be set in the profile.

The code has to be executed against the Sitefintiy project (e.g. you can add an ASP.Net WebForm, add it to its code-behind, build the project and then navigate to the WebForm in your browser).

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2013 00:00

Boyan,

Thank you for your help. As I mentioned in a previous post I'm new to Sitefinity and still trying to figure out how everything works. I appreciate the code sample. My question now is... Where does this code go? Am I to override some existing method? Does this go in a global.asax method? I apologize if this should be obvious but I'm afraid I don't know where to put this code.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Mar-2013 00:00

Hello Gregg,

Please do not hesitate to share your concerns with us, that's absolutely fine.

In fact Sitefinity derives its roots from a standard .NET WebApplication, so you can apply prior .NET skills for working with ti as well. For example, the current sample that we've provided can be placed in the code-behind of an ASP.NET WebForm, then build the project and navigate to the WebForm in your browser - the code will be executed automatically.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed