Best way to achieve split navigation

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:32

Best way to achieve split navigation

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2013 00:00

Hi there,
What is the best way in Sitefinity to achieve two menus (minor and major - see screenshot attached), each of which can have drop downs AND the CMS editor must be able to maintain the following:
1. Minor menu is a custom selection of menu items (essentially those that do not appear in the major menu)
2. Major menu is a custom selection of menu items (those that do not appear in the minor menu)
3. Each menu will have possible drop down menus

In the past i'd have created a custom widget with static links to the various pages, but in this case we need to maintain editability from within Sitefinity.

Any ideas? Can't think that this scenario is unique.

Thanks,
Jacques

Hi Jacques,
I'm currently building a very similiar menu structure and I have found the Firefox extention firebug very useful.
I have simply used the navigation bars within Sitefinity widgets but then given them unique CSS classes, this way I can style them, float them left or right and make them work in different ways. It also means that I can add/remove pages via the CMS rather than by hacking some code.

O.

Hi Owain,

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but how do you control which items appear in which menu from Sitefinity's side?

If you drag a navigation menu on to your template.
Click Edit
Then you will see the navigation options, on the right hand side you can fine tune it so that you can select what pages you want to display.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your question.

Thanks for the response Owain.

Those options wouldn't work exactly as I would need.
Horizontal type allows you to select the pages you want to show, but doesn't do drop downs for sub pages.
Horizontal with Drop Down type allows the drop downs, but you can't select the pages unless it's "pages under this page" or "top level pages", etc.

In our scenario our page list in Sitefinity would look like this (and the menu they should be used in)
1. Home (minor menu)
2. About Us (major menu)
3. Services (major menu)
4. Team (major menu)
4.1 Executive Team (major menu)
4.2 Board of Directors (major menu)
5. Jobs (minor menu)
6. Contact Us (minor menu)

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Mar-2013 00:00

Hi Jacques,

It is not possible to create such navigation with our constrols, because they use SitefinitySiteMapDataSource  and when you choose  - custom selection of pages - the navogation doesn't get information about the hierarchy of each page. This is why they are ordered next to each other.

Kind regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed