Migration Of Development source code to another computer

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 00:31

Migration Of Development source code to another computer

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2013 00:00

Hi Sitefinity support,
I was trying to migrate my sitefinity source code to my computer i couldn't make it work out.
Here are the step i did on the migration:
1. I downloaded the source code from TFS
2. I have backup the DB from Dev Server and restore it in my local desktop/computer.
3. I changed the connection string at App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\DataConfig.config

After running the source code it returns the message:
"You see this screen because there are no pages created yet. Login to the backend area and create your first webpage".
And after clicking the link "Login to the backend" it redirects me to this link. (see screenshot from the attachment)
localhost/

I need to make it run because i need to debug something on the source code. And i won't be able to do my work without debugging the source code.

Regards,
Arvin

Hi Arvin,

It seems your Visual Studio uses IIS instead of Cassini. Which is fine, but you need to set your IIS so that the localhost site points to the file folder where the project is located. 

Can you please check if that's the case please?

Kind regards,
Veselin Vasilev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Veselin,

Sorry i'm new to Sitefinity, how will i check that and how will I be able to set IIS?

Regards,
Arvin

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi Sitefinity/Telerik Guys,

I was able to setup the IIS but still no luck! When i tried to browse the website  "localhost/SitefinityWebApp" this is what's keep appearing.

"You see this screen because there are no pages created yet. Login to the backend area and create your first webpage"

And when i click the " Login to the backend" link it redirects me to
localhost/

Please help because it's really frustrating now, I've been trying to ask help from you guys for weeks but i felt like you're keep ignoring this issue. 

Regards,
Arvin

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Apr-2013 00:00

Hey Arvin,

If you're really crammed for a deadline, you should put in a support ticket. Although Sitefinity support is active on the forums, its sort of voluntarily without guarantees or deadlines.

First to get rid of the misconfiguration regarding IIS,
Open the project in VisualStudio 2012. Right click the SitefinityWebApp, select properties.
Choose the 'Web' tab and set it to IIS Express.

If you now run the project it will fire up IIS Express (localhost) instead of using IIS with a misconfigured application.

---
Copy all the .config files (App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration) from the dev server instead of using the ones from TFS. The db & *.config form a pair, and since you store the .config files in TFS, they're bound to be the blank versions that came with the initial check-in.

---
If things still don't work, you should try downloading Sitefinity ProjectManager from your account and create a new blank/temporary project to compare files and ensure you're not missing files.

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi Arvin,

If you're set on using IIS instead of Cassini to debug your project make sure you follow our IIS installation guidelines. You can find them here. It's not much different from setting up IIS with any other .NET 4 ASP.NET application but it does outline the steps required to get this working.

If you're simply trying to debug your code I would follow Jochem's suggestion on using IIS Express either through Visual Studio or the Project Manager.

All the best,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed