Web services questions

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:00

Web services questions

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some information on how to build web services on top of modules built with a Module Builder ? I saw in the documentation how one could implement a web service but there is no information on how it could be done on top of module builder.

The module that is built with module builder contains following fields that should be accessible within a webservice :

- text fields
 - tags
 - taxonolmies
 - media files (videos, images, and so on)  : a link to the related media file is sufficient.

Could you please provide me with some guidance on how it could be done ?

Thank you,

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for contacting us.

If you are talking about creating a custom service it can be done with any method available to ASP.NET. I would personally recommend Web API as it returns really clean data that's easy to work with. Here's a link to a partner blog post on how to do this in Sitefinity.

http://blog.falafel.com/blogs/basem-emara/2012/06/20/using-asp.net-web-api-for-sitefinity-rest-services

With this method you can use the API to query and return any information you need from module builder using the Code references that were generated with your module builder module.

I hope this helps.

Greetings,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Patrick,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for the noob questions but I'm new to the platform.
Can you just confirm that the code references that were generated retrives all kind of fields used in the modul builder ?
I mean the dynamic fields, taxonomy, etc ?

Regards,

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

No problem and welcome to Sitefinity!

You can navigate to your module builder module under Administration > Module Builder > [Your Module Name].

From there look at this screenshot.

http://screencast.com/t/2j4YtA4do

I hope this helps!

Greetings,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Gonna also post this here...

www.sitefinitysteve.com/.../simple-wcf-by-sitefinity

Until webapi gets native attribute routing (coming next release?), and sitefinity actually adopts it as the framework...I'm sticking to WCF :)

This thread is closed