Extend Basic Profile or Create Custom Profile

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:31

Extend Basic Profile or Create Custom Profile

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2013 00:00

I am having a hard time finding up to date documentation on this and/or understanding.

Our site will have users that will create accounts with a password to be able to log in to the public facing website and view their account and profile information.
Is the best practice to extend the basic profile type OR create a new one and add to that, the extra fields needed?  I read somewhere to delete the first and last name and add those to the custom profile if needed but i believe that is old documentation.

For registration, we need first/last name, emails and state. So we have mapped to an external template for that.
For editing the profile, how is best to combine the profile types (two controls on the page? external template?) 
In Edit Mode you only have the choice of one profile type and a template.
The template called 'Profile form' displays the basic profile fields.
The template 'Auto-generate fields' displays a link that has to be clicked on in order to view the custom  profile fields. (why the link behavior?)
Is the intent to use the Profile form template and add your custom profile fields to that?
Or is the best way  - to create a new membership provider?

I believe the Sitefinity Documentation on this is out of date?
www.sitefinity.com/.../managing-user-profiles

Thank you for anyone's input!

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2013 00:00

Hi Laura,

The documentation for user profiles is up to date and relevant and you can use it as a good starting point.

And now on your questions - Whether or not to extend the basic profile depends on your needs there is no best practice. In order to give correct answer you have to know if you need different profile information to be shown on different places in the site and most important - the same type of profile information to have different values (e.g. you want the user's "nickname" for blogs to be one but for forums to be other). If it is so - you have to use different profiles (e.g. MyCustomForumProfile and MyCustomBlogProfile or use the basic profile for one of them if it fits your needs). But if the user will use one information all over the site - (e.g. the "nickname" will have only one value no matter where it is used) you could use the Basic Profile and optionally extend it with additional fields for the information you need.
Regarding the templates - you could modify them wherever you need and show the information you want using the controls you want.

I hope this will help you to go further! And remember there is no "best" way that fulfills all requests - you have to choose one that meets yours.

Greetings,
DimBo
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Dec-2015 00:00

Hi, i have a problem, i create a field in Basic Profile with the name: "FacebookId", so... the problem is, i want to see this field in the view "Registration.RegistrationForm.cshtml", i put this in my view:

<div class="form-group">
                <label>
                    @Html.Resource("FacebookId")
                </label>
            </div>

but the result in my view is:

#ResourceNotFound: RegistrationResources, FacebookId#

What i need to do?

Thnx

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Dec-2015 00:00

Hi,

The Html resource helper is for labels and messages, so the content can be localized. Please, refer to the following article for more information:
http://docs.sitefinity.com/feather-localize-widget-templates

In order to show custom fields from a profile, please check this article:
http://docs.sitefinity.com/feather-profile-widget

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed