Managing properties at individual page level for widget cont

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:24

Managing properties at individual page level for widget contained in page template

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-May-2013 00:00

Apologies if this is really basic, but I'm a total newbie to SiteFinity.

I've got a number of pages that are going to have a very similar layout, so I've created a page template. One thing that all those pages will have in common is that they will have a video gallery, so I've added the built-in VideoGallery widget on the page template. But our content managers want to manually select the videos separately for every derived page (I'm aware of the video tagging / categorising possibilities etc, but the content managers want finer-grained control, as we don't expect to be changing the videos regularly anyway). From what I've seen, once a widget has been included at the page template level, it's properties are not then editable at the derived page level. On the face of it, it seems that you can only edit the properties of a widget on the template where it was added.

Does anyone know how I can edit the properties of a widget at the individual page level, while keeping the widget in the page template?

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2013 00:00

Hello Ronan,

That's a tough one, by design the specific configuration for a widget is persisted for the page/template the widget is dropped on, so in the case where a widget is dropped on a page template, all pages using this template will inherit the widget and its configuration from the template.

For the specific use case scenario you have outlined we would advise for either filtering the  displayed videos by category, depending on the page, as you properly pointed out, or dropping a new widget and setting its sepcific configuration on every page.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed