Template files included in trial version vs community editio

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:32

Template files included in trial version vs community edition?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2013 00:00

I'm evaluating the software and attempting to start writing some custom controls and modules. I've downloaded both the trial and community editions. I'm looking at the community edition version and noticed that already includes a /Templates folder with over 700 .ascx templates, while the trial edition does not.

I understand there is editing available for these widget templates, but we really need to work with the raw files.

First, why does the community edition inlcude the .ascx files? Also, how can I work those into my trial version (really, having Sitefinity use THOSE templates instead of the templates, which I assume are stored in a database somewhere). Is this possible? Is there an article specific to this somewhere? Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-May-2013 00:00

Hello Ryan
Maybe you  use an older version of Sitefinity Community Edition and because of this you have this templates. Actually this templates are not used in Sitefinity and you don't need them. There is no problem to delete the whole folder. The Community Edition of Sitefinity has a limited capabilities and it will be better for you to use the trial version, because it is more suitable for developing custom modules and controls. 
Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 29-May-2013 00:00

Thanks. I actually want to KEEP the templates, as we want to not only edit them, but also version them in our own repository. So, ideally, we'd like to make use of these physical files. Is it possible to make use of these .ascx files in the Trial version (or the full version if/when we decide to buy it) by updating the TemplatePath property for the control on the backend to point to the correct .ascx file? Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2013 00:00

Hello Ryan,

The templates' folder consists of all the templates used by Sitefinity. However these templates are referred from the Telerik dlls so the templates' folder is not actually used. Additionally, with each release of Sitefinity we are making changes to these templates. Therefore it is best to use the most recent available templates which we are distributing with our Sitefinity SDK.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed