How to verify a correct Upgrade

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:41

How to verify a correct Upgrade

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jun-2013 00:00

Should all of the version numbers in *all* of the config files reflect the new version ?
I jut upgraded from 5.3 to 6.0 and some of the config files still have the old version number in them.  Everything seems to be working, but am worried that something subtle might be wrong.

Should all of the config files have a new version number in them, or is it OK that some do not ?

thanks for any insight!
-Tim

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jun-2013 00:00

Hello Tim,

Thank you for contacting Sitefinity support.
The version of the configs will stay unchanged if the module related to the config is deactivated. Otherwise they should all increase the version.
Can you please tell me what configs are with unchanged version numbers so we would be able to conclude whether they may affect the application.

Regards,
Ivan Eftimov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jun-2013 00:00

Dear Tim

Just as a side note. I usually activate all modules before upgrading so all parts are updated. I think this is not nessecary but I never felt good when I have some moduls in a 5.0 state while other would be on 6.0

http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/general-discussions-/enable-all-modules-before-upgrading-might-be-a-good-idea-

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jun-2013 00:00

I'm having trouble with the upgrade, so it varies a bit on which config files do not get updated.
What is the overall "upgrade algorithm" ?

How do these relate?
system.config
other config files
DLL versions
DB version

Is there a place where this is described?  perhaps a general flow of what happens during the upgrade process?   If I know what was happening, then I may be able to see the error 

-tim

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jun-2013 00:00

OH, one more thing... is the version number in the config file just "proof" that the module upgraded correctly, or does the version number dictate behavior ?

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jun-2013 00:00

Hi Tim,

The version of the configs is the actual version of the module. It does not dictates an upgrade behavior. The versions of the modules in the SystemConfig is the driving force for upgrade, i.e.  if the version of the assemblies is higher than the version of the modules in the system configs thank an upgrade will be initialized (for the particular module/s). This upgrade will also upgrade the schema version of the database (it cannot be downgraded! - always do backup of the database before upgrade).
  If the upgrade of some module has failed - an error message will be present in the SystemConfig. The upgrade can be restarted by removing the error message (or lowering or removing the version number) and recycling the application.

Not upgraded version of a config (if no errors on the website are noticed) means the module was not accessible (disabled, uninstalled, etc.).

We still haven't  publicly described the "behind the scenes" process of the upgrade, but soon we should publish such a resource, because it seems it will be valuable for the clients.  

About your issue, you still did not tell me what config files' versions did not get upgraded. We will need that info so we can tell you whether it's serious or not.

Regards,
Ivan Eftimov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jun-2013 00:00

Hi Ivan,
CatalogConfig has an entry for a "lazy config". The lazyconfig's did not get an upgraded version number.
"CatalogConfig.contentViewControls.ProductsBackendDefinitionName.views.ProductsBackendMaster.config" and "CatalogConfig.contentViewControls.ProductTypesBackendDefinitionName.views.ProductTypesBackendMaster.config"

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2013 00:00

Hello Tim,

This does not seems to be expected behavior. Do you experience any issues after the upgrade or some strange behaviors of the functionality? Can you share with us some more info according to this scenario or a sample project.

Regards,
Georgi Georgiev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2013 00:00

Yes, other issues after the upgrade.   I opened up a support ticket.

After upgrading from 5.3 to 6.0 I get the
following error message in the last step of the checkout process.

Server Error in '/'
Application.

A required control
was not found in the template for
"~/SfCtrlPresentation/OpenAccessDataProvider,4f8351360b084ccfae567a47e6adf771.ascx".
The control must be assignable from type
"System.Web.UI.WebControls.IButtonControl" and must have ID
"recalcShippingButton".

Description: An
unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request.
Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it
originated in the code. 

Exception Details: Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.TemplateException:
A required control was not found in the template for
"~/SfCtrlPresentation/OpenAccessDataProvider,4f8351360b084ccfae567a47e6adf771.ascx".
The control must be assignable from type "System.Web.UI.WebControls.IButtonControl"
and must have ID "recalcShippingButton".

Source Error: 

An unhandled
exception was generated during the execution of the current web request.
Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be
identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[TemplateException: A required control was not found in the template for "~/SfCtrlPresentation/OpenAccessDataProvider,4f8351360b084ccfae567a47e6adf771.ascx". The control must be assignable from type "System.Web.UI.WebControls.IButtonControl" and must have ID "recalcShippingButton".]   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.GenericContainer.ThrowException(Type requiredType, String controlId) +74   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.GenericContainer.GetControl(String id, Boolean required) +262   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Ecommerce.Orders.Web.UI.CheckoutViews.Preview.AttachEvents() +560   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Ecommerce.Orders.Web.UI.CheckoutViews.Preview.InitializeControls(GenericContainer container) +219   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateChildControls() +88   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +189   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +60   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4297

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2013 00:00

Hi Tim,

In this case it seems that there is a problem with the upgrade. Can you send us your original project in version 5.3, so we could try to upgrade it to 6.0.

Looking forward hearing from you.

Regards,
Georgi Georgiev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jul-2013 00:00

My Dashboard still says 5.4 and the footer of the admin section still shows 5.4 but under version and licensing it shows product version 6.1.4300.0 and the SystemConfig.Config shows all modules at 6.1.4300.0 except   Synchronization shows 5.1.3270.0.  Is this a problem and how do I get the Dashboard and footer to show correct version?

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jul-2013 00:00

Hi,

To reinstall the Synchronization module follow the steps below:

1. Go to App_Data -> Sitefinity -> Configurations -> SystemConfig.config
2. Remove the Synchronization module version. For instance:

<add name="Synchronization" />

4. Save the file
5. Build your project and make a dummy change in your web.config file and save it.
6. Run your project

Regarding the old version on the Dashboard, it seems that the labels for the site did not update properly during the upgrade process. In order to suit them to your current version of the project, you can navigate to Administration -> Interface & Labels and search for each one of the labels. For example you can change:

"Welcome to Sitefinity 5.4"

to

"Welcome to Sitefinity 6.1" as in a 6.1.4300.0 project.

Also the best way to verify whether the upgrade was successfully is to check the version of the project in the Version & Licensing page. You can also check whether the build number for the modules in the SystemConfig is the same as in the Version & Licensing page.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

This thread is closed