Deploying an existing ASP.NET MVC Web Application as MVC Wid

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 02:15

Deploying an existing ASP.NET MVC Web Application as MVC Widgets in Sitefinity

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jul-2013 00:00

I have an existing ASP.NET MVC Web Application project that I have developed that I would like to deploy as ASP.NET MVC Widgets into Sitefinity. 

I have seen tutorials on how to develop and deploy ASP.NET MVC Widgets using Sitefinity Thunder, however, there does not seem to be any guidance or documentation on how to deploy such Widgets into Sitefinity from an existing ASP.NET MVC Web Application that already contains a set of controllers and views.

Can anyone please point me to any documentation or guidance on how to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2013 00:00

Hello,

Sitefinity MVC widgets in their structure doesn`t differ from standard asp.net mvc MVC except that there is an additional attribute for the controller name, ControllerToolboxItem which register the control as MVC widget in sitefinity with Name, Title in particular section from the available widgets to be placed on pages.

[ControllerToolboxItem(Name = "Events", Title = "Events", SectionName = "MvcWidgets")]
    public class EventsController : Controller
Refer to this documentation for sample widget created with MVC.

Additionally this documentation sample implements MVC widget that utilizes Sitefinity API which can also be of help.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jul-2013 00:00

Is there a way to deploy MVC Widgets to the Sitefinity Toolbox without decorating them with these attributes in a manner similar to how ASP.NET User Controls are deployed to the Sitefinity Toolbox using Advanced settings-->Toolbox and specifying the virtual path to the User Control?

I want to develop an ASP.NET MVC Web Application that is not referencing any of the Telerik assemblies in order to retain loose coupling of my application from the Sitefinity platform.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jul-2013 00:00

Hi,

Yes it is possible for MVC widgets register the
Control CLR Type or Virtual Path Telerik.Sitefinity.Mvc.Proxy.MvcControllerProxy
Controller CLR type SitefinityWebApp.Mvc.Controllers.MvcWidgetController (CLR type of the controller)
Name MvcWidget (name of the class, without the "Controller" string)
Title MvcWidget
here is a screenshot.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jul-2013 00:00

What if I am building separate Controllers, Views and Models in a COMPLETELY separate assembly?  For example, what I am building an entire ASP.NET MVC 4 web application that is compiled into its own assembly?  How do I register my individual Views and Controllers into the Sitefinity Toolbox in that instance?  

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jul-2013 00:00

Hello,

Full encapsulation is not possible (the whole widgets to be present in separate dll) at least the View will have to be part of the sitefinity project. The model and controller classes can be part of another project and its .dll registered in Sitefinity will serve as the type from which the view will take its model.

@model AssemblyProject.Mvc.Models.MyWidgetModel

If developing MVC widgets inside sitefinity project it is best to use Area folders to encapsulate the MVC components as the separation of controllers and models from the view will not be very convenient.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2016 00:00

Hi STANISLAV VELIKOV,

I was trying to create self-installing MVC sitifinity widget. I got few issue while registering the widget automatically.

I have CorticonResponseController widget developed in MVC pattern. I also have response widget designer for this widget. In My control class, I have decorated my class with ControolerTollBox item.

I could successfully register the widget however I was facing issue while getting the designer view.

The issue is

Server Error in '/' Application.

Sequence contains no elements
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements

Source Error: 
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements]
   System.Linq.Enumerable.First(IEnumerable`1 source) +264
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign.Singleton.GetDesigner(ControlData ctrlData) +288
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign.ControlDesignerFactory.GetDesigner(ControlData ctrlData) +36
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PropertyEditor.PrepareControlDesigner(ControlData ctrlData) +58
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PropertyEditor.InitializeControls(GenericContainer dialogContainer) +1249
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateChildControls() +106
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.DialogBase.CreateChildControls() +38
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +92
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeControl.get_Controls() +16
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PropertyEditor.OnInit(EventArgs e) +81
   System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +139
   System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +185
   System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child) +86
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.DialogRouteHandler.InitializeContent(Page handler, RequestContext requestContext) +410
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.RouteHandlerBase.Handler_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +294
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +95
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +59
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +678

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.6.1055.0

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Mar-2016 00:00

Hello,

The issue occurring with loading the designer for this MVC based widget is that the designer can`t be found.
When adding designer there are 2 requirements, I have attached a widget with a functional designer refer to CorticonResponseWidget+Designer.zip.

1. The designer must be linked to the controller via a decoration as you have mentioned

[ControllerToolboxItem(Name = "CorticonResponse", Title = "CorticonResponse", SectionName = "MvcWidgets"), Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign.ControlDesigner(typeof(SitefinityWebApp.WidgetDesigners.CorticonResponse.CorticonResponseDesigner))]
2. The designer must inherit from ControlDesignerBase
public class CorticonResponseDesigner : ControlDesignerBase

Refer to the attached sample widget + designer for reference, compare with the designer and controller at your end to spot the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed