password protecting public directories

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 13:18

password protecting public directories

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jul-2013 00:00

Thanks for your time. I

I have a working sub-directory of a SiteFinity project in which I am testing out templates and things. I would like to slap a quick entry authentication on that folder just to keep it under wraps and keep access to it controlled. Like an htaccess file, but I think SiteFinity is a big compiled application that executes from the web if I'm not mistaken so I can't picture how to do this.

SiteFinity's back end permissions workflow obviously is quite granular and covers many levels of access for back end users, but I don't see how it would apply to this purely front end use case.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jul-2013 00:00

Hi,

Sitefinity permissions only apply for sitefinity content (news, blogs, events, etc) and pages, permissions over the folders in IIS are not managed by sitefinity.
I suppose the folder created will be among the website files which will make the folder handled by IIS and to set permissions for the folder refer to this article.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jul-2013 00:00

Let's say my SiteFinity project is accessible via ~/pages/ from the root.

My sub-directory where I'm working might then be ~/pages/working/.

Are you saying I will need to go into IIS in order to put a username/password authentication on that subdirectory? Please confirm, thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2013 00:00

Hello Luke,

Thank you for the clarification. From what I understand, you have a test frontend page where you teste templates and controls. In this case, the best way would be to use the Sitefinity permissions for that page and change the view permissions from Everyone only to your user or a role. This way, other frontend users will not be able to access it.

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed