After testing a few times, my code seems to always produce
the following:

A document under the correct library, but that has
no icon (pdf for example) and
cannot be accessed or downloaded and

that is in draft mode only even when I specify Publish
through the workflow manager
My  Code is below:

private void CreateDocumentNativeAPI(Guid masterDocumentId, Guid parentDocumentLibraryId, string documentTitle, string documentExtension,String DocumentN)

LibrariesManager librariesManager = LibrariesManager.GetManager();
            Document document = librariesManager.GetDocuments().Where(d => d.Id == masterDocumentId).FirstOrDefault();

if (document == null)
                            // The document is created as master. The masterDocumentId is assigned to the master version.
                document = librariesManager.CreateDocument(masterDocumentId);
                // Set the parent document library.                DocumentLibrary documentLibrary = librariesManager.GetDocumentLibraries().Where(d => d.Id == parentDocumentLibraryId).SingleOrDefault();                document.Parent = documentLibrary;
                // Set the properties of the document.                document.Title = documentTitle;
                document.DateCreated = DateTime.UtcNow;
                document.PublicationDate = DateTime.UtcNow;
                document.LastModified = DateTime.UtcNow;
                document.UrlName = ""; // Regex.Replace(documentTitle.ToLower(), @"[^\w\-\!\$\'\(\)\=\@\d_]+", "-");
                document.MimeType = "application/pdf";
                document.FilePath = @"\\NetworkShare\filename.pdf";
                //document.ResolveMediaUrl(false);
                document.Visible = true;
                document.Status = ContentLifecycleStatus.Master;
                librariesManager.Lifecycle.Publish(document);
                librariesManager.SaveChanges();
                var bag = new Dictionary<string, string>();
                bag.Add("ContentType", typeof(Document).FullName);                WorkflowManager.MessageWorkflow(masterDocumentId, typeof(Document), null, "Publish",false, bag);

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jul-2013 00:00

I'm not sure if things have changed in recent versions of Sitefinity, but I don't believe you can specify the filepath location of the file directly using the FilePath property. 

Instead, you need to actually upload the document to Sitefinity and let it set the FilePath itself based on where it places it and names it (assuming you're using the File System storage).

To do this, you need to use the method, using a stream to the file for upload:

librariesManager.Upload(document, documentStream, documentExtension);

as shown on this documentation page: www.sitefinity.com/.../creating-documents

I hope this is helpful, let me know if I've misunderstood your question!

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Aug-2013 00:00

I modified the code a bit so that I was actually uploading the file through a stream.  My code is:

private void TempMigrateDocumentNativeAPI(Guid masterDocumentId, Guid parentDocumentLibraryId,
              string documentTitle, string documentExtension, String DocumentN,
              String argMimeType, String FilePath, String URLName)

LibrariesManager librariesManager = LibrariesManager.GetManager();
            Document document = librariesManager.GetDocuments().Where(d => d.Id == masterDocumentId).FirstOrDefault();

using (StreamReader sr = new StreamReader(FilePath))

Stream stream = sr.BaseStream;

if (document == null)

document = librariesManager.CreateDocument(masterDocumentId);
                    DocumentLibrary documentLibrary = librariesManager.GetDocumentLibraries().Where(d => d.Id == parentDocumentLibraryId).SingleOrDefault();
                    document.Parent = documentLibrary;
                    document.Title = documentTitle;
                    document.DateCreated = DateTime.UtcNow;
                    document.PublicationDate = DateTime.UtcNow;
                    document.LastModified = DateTime.UtcNow;
                    document.UrlName = Regex.Replace(documentTitle.ToLower(), @"[^\w\-\!\$\'\(\)\=\@\d_]+", "-");
                    document.Visible = true;
                    document.Status = ContentLifecycleStatus.Master;
                    librariesManager.Upload(document, stream, documentExtension);
                    librariesManager.Provider.RecompileItemUrls(document);
                    document.ApprovalWorkflowState = "Published";
                    //...

I also removed the line of code where I set the file path, since I am uploading via a stream, however I am still not able to open the file via the open file link in the Sitefinity Interface.  When I view all files that I have uploaded via this script, they all look published, however the problem is that there is no valid link. 

An example of what I see in the user interface is:
Published document
I click on published document to see the detail, then I click on Open the File and receive this error:

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: item
  Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: item

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: item]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Lifecycle.LifecycleDecorator.GetTemp(ILifecycleDataItemGeneric item, CultureInfo culture) +954
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Lifecycle.LifecycleDecorator.Telerik.Sitefinity.Lifecycle.ILifecycleDecorator.GetTemp(ILifecycleDataItem cnt, CultureInfo culture) +38
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryHttpHandler.GetContentItem(RouteValueDictionary dataTokens, String& redirectUrl, LibrariesManager& manager) +415
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryHttpHandler.GetOutputItem(HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response, ICacheManager cache, String key, MediaContent& content) +99
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibraryHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +731
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +625
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +270

The original content Id is: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 for all files that are uploaded via the code. above.

could it be that you are using the Lifecycle.Publish instead of the worfklow as shown in the example:

//Publish the DocumentLibraries item. The live version acquires new ID.
var bag = new Dictionary<string, string>();
bag.Add("ContentType", typeof(Document).FullName);
WorkflowManager.MessageWorkflow(masterDocumentId, typeof(Document), null, "Publish", false, bag);

See if using the workflowmanager instead gives you the result you expect. if not, I'd suggest posting the code to a support ticket as it all looks correct to me.

I hope this was helpful!

WorkflowManager hadn't initially been working when I run in localhost mode and wasn't sure how to resolve that, but the problem ended up being a logistical file issue storage problem.  Sitefinity stores the files under App_Data\Storage\FileSystem.  When I was running on localhost using a remote database, the files that I was streaming to upload ended up on my local drive, and when I checked the other hosted site that was using the same database I was getting the link errors.  I started to check on local host, then I am either thinking to upload the files to the remote App_Data\Storage\FileSystem, or just run the code from the remote host from the get-go.

ah yes if you are using the file system, the contents to get stored locally. Simply copying the contents of the App_data/storage folder to the remote site should resolve the issue, as it looks by ID to find the item in that folder, which is what is used to name each file.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you

This thread is closed