Including tag fields in scope of a search index of custom co

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:44

Including tag fields in scope of a search index of custom content module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Aug-2013 00:00

Thanks for your time. I'm trying to set up a SiteFinity search index to include the tags of a custom content type. Right now it just seems to parse the other content fields, which are long text, etc. but I would like to be able to verify that the search index is catching specific applied tags by searching those tags & seeing the corresponding tagged content in the search results. Does anyone know how to accomplish this without cracking open code-behind and requiring development hours? Thanks,

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2013 00:00

Bump

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Aug-2013 00:00

Bump again. 

I guess I can just open a support ticket but this really seems like such a basic use case.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Aug-2013 00:00

Hi,

There is no functionality to allow search based on tags out of the box, a customization to the search is needed to support this case, refer to this blog post for a sample of extending the search functionality.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Aug-2013 00:00

Thank you Stanislav.

After some thinking on this, I don't see a strong need to index against the tags. A case can be made that doing so misses the point of tagging.

Tagging is really most useful for filtering a sets of objects to those matching one or more arbitrary, non-hierarchical classifications. Nothing prevents users from tagging things incorrectly to try and manipulate search algorithms, which is fine for "power users" who really understand what they are trying to do, but for almost everyone else a hard-coded search algorithm should just index content fields conventionally to decide what is most relevant and return expected results.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2013 00:00

Hi,

This case is valid tough for specific projects there can be a real need to search based on taxonomy and as an example I can state that some scenarios use taxonomies not just for tagging, but for a specific purpose defined in project requirements where it makes it necessary to search taxonomies.
This is not valid for every case of course, if tags are used for tagging and classification management, getting a meaningful results from search based on tag may not be the best approach.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed