Activate a new dynamic module broke the server

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:50

Activate a new dynamic module broke the server

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Aug-2013 00:00

I created a dynamic module called executive profile module in Sitefinity backend. When I activate it, it is hanging and broke the web server twice. The first time, from the log file, I knew some configuration files are read only. So asked administrator to change those files attribute to writable. However, it is still hanging and broke the web server. I did not have log file yet.  But it is said we might not be able to create a table in database trought Sitefinity.

Is there anyone know exactly what is happening when I activate the dynamic module? I know it will change configuration files: ToolboxesConfig.config, ContentViewConfig.config, DynamicModulesConfig.config, SecurityConfig.config and WorkflowConfig.config. And it also creates a table in database: executive_profile. What else?  

We now want to manually to change the configuration files and replace the old configuration files and also create SQL create table script to database. But it seems not working.

Does anybody can help for this? I want to create the dynamic module by creating table manually in database. Thanks a lot! This is kind of urgent. I have been working this for two days. Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2013 00:00

Creating a dynamic Sitefinity module by manipulating the database directly is not only not a good idea, it's not recommended and I believe it is not supported by Telerik, and is likely to break on future updates, since it wasn't created by the internal systems responsible...

That being said, the Sitefinity database user definitely needs permission to create and modify db tables, as this is indeed exactly the way the Module Builder works.

The best thing for you to do is isolate the problem of why it's not being created. gather log files, enable tracing: www.sitefinity.com/.../tracing-web-services-exceptions

also be sure to check the Event Viewer for windows for more information.

If none of these logs reveal anything obvious, best to send them to Telerik support for further review so that you can successfully use the Module Builder to create and modify Sitefinity modules.

I hope this is helpful

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Aug-2013 00:00

Hello guys,

@John
I will confirm that it is not good idea to create a new dynamic module with manipulating the database. There are many problems which can appear when using this approach.

I would advice as Josh said to isolate the problem and sent us the log files to get a better picture of the problem. It is good to remove the old logs and to sent only the newly generated ones. without the error logs we can only guess what can cause your problem.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed