getting the most out of the Sitefinity forums - my threads,

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:33

getting the most out of the Sitefinity forums - my threads, tracked threads, newest on top

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Aug-2013 00:00

I have a few questions getting the most out of the Sitefinity forums modules:

1. When you log into Sitefinity, at the bottom of the forum in the links a new one shows up that says “My threads”.   How do we turn this on in our own forums?
  2. When you log into Sitefinity under the support area they have a page for “Threads you have started or track” and it has an option to remove tracked threads from the list.   What widget is this, and how do I add it to my own site?
  3. Many of our forums get really long.  What is the best way to make the threads run in descending order (newest on top)?  Will the reply form show up on top too?

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2013 00:00

Hi Jason,

1. The filter comes from the default list view of the Forums widget. Maybe what confuses you is the different styling, but it doesn't need to be enabled. The filter is there by default (please check the attached image).
2. This option is part of the telerik website, which is currently running Sitefinity 3.x. Such widget is not available in Sitefinity 6.x at the moment. 
3. To achieve this you can set a SortExpression to the PostsListView by going to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> ContentView -> Controls -> ForumsFrontend. Set the SortExpression to "LastModified DESC", which will order the posts the way you want - the newest on top. Check the image for further reference.

Regards,
Jen Peleva
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Aug-2013 00:00

1.  yes, we discovered we had a CSS rule hiding the last item from the filter list.  Oops, we have it fixed and this works great.

2.  ahh, I am surprised Telerik is still using version 3.7 for anything - especially with the announcement of it being end-of-life support come January.    We may write our own feature expansion here if another option is not available.

3.    Wow, that is buried in there.  We were able to make the change and get the forums sorting with newest on top.   You may want to consider this here, or maybe make it a personal setting for users to pick themselves.   For us, the forum threads get long and start paging, and it is hard to see the latest activity of a thread with it sorted default (oldest first).

Thanks for the help!

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2013 00:00

You're welcome, Jason :)

Regards,
Jen Peleva
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Sep-2013 00:00

I made this change for "LastModified DESC" and it worked.  But I can't set it back.   I tried removing the value, and also setting it to LastModified ASC and no luck.

How do I revert it back to oldest first?

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Jason Green,

From backend global setting you set all forums in your Sitefinity Project: Link
But this setting can be overridden by each forums widget setting. Please browse to Widget Edit >> Advanced >> Control Definitions >> Views and there select the desired view. Under SortExpression you can specify the desired ordering: Link

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2013 00:00

This worked perfectly.   Not only did I not know the control had all these properties itself, I wouldn't have guessed it copies changes made globally when being published.

Thanks for the post.

This thread is closed