Front-end editing for Dynamic Module

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:24

Front-end editing for Dynamic Module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Sep-2013 00:00

I'm trying to come up with a user friendly way for front-end users to edit (add/change/delete) the data stored in a dynamic module.  My module contains a Title, Media type, Address field (SF 6.1), and a dynamic item field control that I use for selecting items from another dynamic module.  Sitefinity does a great job of building a back-end admin form for editing this content.  States & Countries are pre-populated in the Address field.  Geocoding logic is built in.  I'd really like use this form for front-end editing, and build a custom grid for selecting which item to edit.  Something like a back-end widget template???

Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish this?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi Rich,

You would build a regular frontend widget to accomplish this. Then use the API to get the filled out data into the dynamic module. At least this is how I solved a similar requirement. Each custom module should also have generated one or more frontend widgets automatically, but I have never used those. I think they're only for reading data, not writing.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi Richard,

Arno is right.

The dynamic API self documents. You can see examples in the backend under your dynamic module. Before doing the widget ensure you have given the appropriate permissions to authenticated users. Then you can create a frontend widget that allows users to edit the dynamic data. The default widgets do not facilitate this out of the box.

Regards,
Patrick Dunn
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I would hope 6.3\6.4 would finally give us this out of the box...editing data is pretty common

Yep, edit capability is the key component missing here.  Off to create some custom widgets.  Thanks for everyone's feedback.

This thread is closed