Page GUID as field in Dynamic Module

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:30

Page GUID as field in Dynamic Module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Nov-2013 00:00

I'm creating a custom module, and need a field that contains a Page GUID.

I want the admins to be able to use the standard Page selector to browse the site map and select the required page, and then store that GUID as the value - although obviously, I want to display the URL to the admin.

While there is a standard option for media fields, using the standard selector, I can't see an option for a Page field - which I would have thought a fairly standard requirement.

Is there a work-around or some reliable hack to implement this functionality ?

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Nov-2013 00:00

Hi MB,

Yes, this should be a standard feature, but it isn't. You need to create a custom field control for this. Here's explained how to do it.

I think it similar to this

www.sitefinity.com/.../module-builder---internal-page-link-field

Well since Tim seemed to have a solution in May 2013 we might get something in May 2014 now that he is with Telerik :-)

Markus

This sort of half-baked nonsense is what I find to be the most frustrating thing about using Sitefinity.

It's as if Telerik always get a good idea basically working and then lose interest in finishing it, before moving onto something new.

A Content Management System... some of the most basic elements you would expect support for... Pages and Page-Content items.

And yet, here we have a lack of standard support for selecting Pages... requiring the developer to finish Telerik's job for them.

And I fear it's a waste of time posting feature requests to PITS... my other post yesterday about the lack of a standard interface for admins to add/edit custom fields on pages... such a basic requirement, long supported by the api, and available via the admin interface on other modules... but missing for PAGES - for how many years now ?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2013 00:00

I 100% agree with you. I know the team is currently working on some features that I am really happy with, but basically their strategy is still to focus on new features while there are lots of unfixed bugs and missing basic features. The two features you mentioned are simply basic requirements and should be included.

Personally I spent a ridiculous amount of time to get the page guid selector to work (well, sort of work). I hope this thread will help to change their focus to where it should be.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2013 00:00

Well, I'm obviously far too stupid to understand this.

I tried to implement Tim's solution, and just made a mess of it.

I tried to worked out a solution from the snippets posted in the blog referred to by Arno, and got nowhere.

Basically, I'm just needing to define some data to be used by a control, to display rotating images on pages, and need to be able to store page GUIDs for the control to reference - nothing amazing or difficult... but apparently beyond my ability without a working "join-the-dots" example to follow.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2013 00:00

The real frustrating part for me is that it's just a Guid field...a stupid generic Guid field.  the CMS has no idea that you're storing pageIds.  So you'll never be able to use them anywhere in the aui umless you implement it yourself.

Same goes with any related content...was supposed to be in 6.3, but nope...maybe 6.4 or 7.0, or who the heck knows anymore.  But hey, we have salesforce and marketo which clearly are more important than basics.

I'm the first to admit that I'm only a very avergae ASP.NET dev, and I definitely know my limitations. I don't think I'm a total idiot, but some times I start to wonder if perhaps I really am. I find doing what appear to be such basic tasks as this, far more difficult than it should be, and find the process of piecing together all the cryptic snippets of code from various scattered sources, to come up with a working solution, so incredibly frustrating that I all too often end up abandoning a project - which is about where I am with this one.

No, it's not you...Sitefinity really just has some HUGE missing functionality, but that keeps getting shunted to the back of the line when marketing steps in to force them into fluff things like salesforce and marketo over LITERALLY anything else.

I have a frigging project where I need to do related content myself in code (with shared taxons) because the content managment system wasn't enhanced to manage content.

...but we got marketo...and nobody will ever convince me that marketo was globally begged for by partners or clients at a scale where it took priority over hundreds of other things.

Yes, unfortunately all too true.

tv.telerik.com/.../deep-dive-exploration-sitefinitys-new-module-builder

Fast-Forward to 38:00 - in the following few minutes these very points get discussed, and Teleriks vision of of how this stuff will be available out-of-the-box is outlined - including built in support for all standard Sitefinity types, such as PAGES.

I remember watching this when it came out and thinking that this will make Sitefinity a "serious" CMS.

Of course, that was Sitefinity 4.4 - almost 2 years ago - and that vision seems to have since been shelved.

Yep, hey...but you can use markto or salesforce now though!

@Steve: it starts with O and ends with d... ;)

I don't want to use orchard :) ....but sf marketing decisions are just deadset on screwing over devs...so maybe

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2014 00:00

I agreed with @MB. Bugs are getting increase.Basic features requested by community 2/3 years back are not entertained. @Arno I am sure it is not even get introduced in Sitefinity version 7.0 upcoming release .

Media Fields (Image, Document and Files), Page Field as well as Related Data fields are introduced in SF 7.0 for dynamic modules and static content modules, so with this release you should be good to go.

Kind regards,
Daniel

That's good Daniel Plomp,

But Daniel Media Fields were already there in version 6.3. Let's see the when will be the final release of the SF 7.0 will come as we have just got 7.0 beta 3 and doesn't have any ballpark date

Daer kamii47

It should be a good week for you.

Markus

Well, just check the roadmap here:
http://www.sitefinity.com/product/see-also/product-roadmap

Kind regards,
Daniel Plomp

Yes checked out it Daniel.The ballpark date isn't mentioned there and it's look like only roadmap of the features in a release (not for release dates). Markus one bug about Image reordering (feedback.telerik.com/.../101007-libraries-clicking-on-reorder-button-gets-all-the-images-under-the-top-most-pare) if fixed then I could easily move to upgrade otherwise it would hard to convince to upgrade  for just single feature 

Hikamii47,

These are all features for the 7.0 release and expect it to come around this week.

Kind regards,
Daniel

That's good. Let's see when will telerik release the Telerik Sitefinity Thunder  extension upgrade to support 7.0 release for VS2012/VS2013. 
Thanks Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Apr-2014 00:00

Hello,

The new Thunder v.1.3.3.0 is already online and it supports Sitefinity 7.0. You can download it from here.
Since, the topic was initially for a Page Selector, for earlier versions, saving the Guid in a custom field and displaying the page url, I attach a simple field control, which has a Page Selector and a textbox which shows the url of the selected page in the current back-end culture in the back-end and resolves the Url to the current front-end Ui culture and shows it as a hyperlink in the front-end view.
I hope you find this useful.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Apr-2014 00:00

Thanks Nikola Zagorchev,

Can you please guide me how to integrate your source code in my solution? Should i add it at root or any other location?

Also tehre is a hardcoded url in javascript file  "localhost:60876/.../" + id,

Should i ignore it?

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Apr-2014 00:00

Hi kamii47,

I have replied to your question and explain how to configure and use the Page Selector in this forum post. Everyone who is interested in the topic can follow it up in the above link.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed