Routing Issues with details view of content

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:24

Routing Issues with details view of content

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Nov-2013 00:00

I have two sites where this happens, but they are slightly different scenarios.

1.)  One site has an MVC widget that gets removed when viewing details of a news item.  I have already read through this post.  This is a 6.2.4900 site

www.sitefinity.com/.../how-to-display-mvc-widget-in-detail-views-of-content-items

This does appear to work, but I am wondering if it is possible to keep the prefix from rendering the "!content" in the url.  I would be ok with /articles/content/..., but it looks odd to me to have /articles/!content/...

2.) I have a separate site that used module builder to make a sponsors ad widget.  The widget was dynamically generated by module builder and uses custom taxonomy to filter its selection.  This is a 6.1.4700 site.  Going into details view removes the widgets from the layout.

How can I do something similar with the routing since this was all generated by module builder? 

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2013 00:00

Hello Stacey,

With Sitefinity version 6.2 we fixed these issue. You can check Slavo Ingilizov's blog post. It describes how to manage with this issue.

Regards,
Strahil Strahilov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2013 00:00

First, thanks for the information.  I had read some of that post, but had glossed over the part about HandleUnknownAction.

I implemented that and removed the older action method [Action("!list")] that I was using.  Now the widget renders when the page goes into details mode and the url does not change which is what I wanted.

I still am having problems with module builder widgets not rendering when the details view kicks in (only when the widget is set to display in listview.  if I select just one item to display it will always render).  I do not see how I am supposed to hook into this since they are not MVC widgets that I created. 

I tested this on my 6.2.4900 site.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Nov-2013 00:00

Hi Stacey,

I am not reproducing this issue on my Sitefinity, 6.2.4910 version, blank project. I attached a simple MVC widget created with Sitefinity thunder, following the blog post I sent you and it works fine with both dynamic modules widgets, in master and detail view, and build in widgets(news widget for example).

If you still not resolving this issue I would recommend you to send your MVC widget, so we can investigate it further.

Regards,
Strahil Strahilov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Strahil,

My MVC widget concern was resolved as I stated in in my last post.  The issue at hand is with the built in module builder widget.

I have two sites that I am seeing this on.  One is my 6.2.4910 and the other is 6.1.4700.  In both cases I created a module through the UI.  Let's call it "Company".  Now as you know and as I stated in my original post a widget is dynamically generated for this module and will appear in the ContentToolBox.  This is the widget that is not rendering when I click on a news item into details view.

Here is what happens now.  

1.) I create a page with a news widget for listing news.  I also drag the new Company widget that module builder generates for me.
2.)  I view the page and see a list of my news items and I also see a list of companies.
3.) Now I click on a news items and I see the details for the news, but my companies widget is removed from the page.

Now, repeat this same process except make sure to set the filtering for the Company widget to only show one company.  In this scenario the widget will always show.  This is why I think it is running into the same type of routing issue, but as I have stated I do not know how I can fix this as it is not a widget I created let alone a MVC widget which is what your solution was talking about.

Is there something that may have been missing when updating a site to 6.2 where I would still have these issues with module builder routing?

I installed a vanilla 6.2 site just now and do not see this issue, yet it does not work on my other two sites I described.  I will try resetting the widget templates to see if something new was introduced.

Update:
I went back to my site that is upgraded to 6.2.4910 and created the same module that I used in the vanilla install of 6.2.4910 and see that it has the same issue where the list items will not render when a content module goes into details.  Both the news widget and company widget used the default widget templates.  I would have expected the new module to work just fine so that fact that it didn't makes me think there is an issue with sites that have been upgraded to the latest version versus ones that start from scratch.  

This is really strange.  On a whim I added a new news item and it will render correctly both the news details and the company widget, but a news item that was generated before the upgrade is not working.   It only works with a new news item and a new module created after the upgrade so at this point I am not sure if you would prefer me to submit a ticket so you can view the project more in depth?

Attached is a screenshot.  Both Test and Test 2 work, but if you click on Article you will lose the companies information.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2013 00:00

Hi Stacey,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
The best way to help you is to submit ticket. So we can give you a ftp access to upload your project and log files.

Regards,
Strahil Strahilov
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2013 00:00

Strahil,

I have just submitted a ticket for this

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Dec-2013 00:00

The support team found the issue I was running into and I am happy to say the proposed fix is working on the two sites I was seeing this issue with.

It turns out the dynamic widget's filtering by date route matches news item's DetailsView route. So when you open a news item the dynamic widget shows only items published on the same date as the article.

One possible solution is to disable UrlQueries to dynamic widget. It can be done by editing the widget 
 Click Edit -> Advanced -> ControlDefinition -> Views -> DynamicContentMasterView ->  And set AllowUrlQueries to false

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2013 00:00

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the solution with the community.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

This thread is closed