Custom Menu Navigation Control

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 10:57

Custom Menu Navigation Control

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2013 00:00

Hi Team,

I need to create custom menu navigation control using MVC thunder.
Kindly help me by providing some code for that.

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Nov-2013 00:00

Hi Mateen,

In order to achieve your desired scenario you have to implement your custom solution. I believe that the following resources could be helpful.

Creating MVC Widgets with Sitefinity Thunder

Using ASP.NET MVC in Sitefinity

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Dec-2013 00:00

Hi Kaloyan,

Thanks for the reply. Well I am aware of creating MVC widgets with Sitefinity.
My issue was, I need to develop custom widget for Navigation control, Using Sitefinity API.
I want to fetch all parent pages and their child pages upto "N" level, and want to present in View of MVC widget.

Kindly help me with this.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mateen

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2014 00:00

Has anyone done this yet? I'm not crazy about working with Webforms in our current environment, and I'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel, if possible.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-May-2014 00:00

Hello,

I have created a simple widget that uses the Page Manager and gets all pages and their children recursively. Then you can show them in the view. I have shown only the top 3 levels, however, you can define a recursive method that will show them all in the view, since all pages and children are saved in the Model.
Result Mvc Nav; Result Built-in Nav;

Controller (all pages are get to n levels in-depth):

public class MVCNavigationController : Controller

public List<PageNodeModel> pagesAll = new List<PageNodeModel>();
       public List<PageNodeModel> nav = new List<PageNodeModel>();
       /// <summary>
       /// This is the default Action.
       /// </summary>
       public ActionResult Index()

var model = new MVCNavigationModel();

var manager = PageManager.GetManager();

var pages = manager.GetPageNodes()
               .Where(n => n.ShowInNavigation == true && n.ApprovalWorkflowState == "Published" && n.ParentId == SiteInitializer.CurrentFrontendRootNodeId)
               .Select(PageNodeModel.ToModel).ToList();

pagesAll = pages;

GetChildNodesRecursively(pagesAll);

model.Nav = nav;

return View("Default", model);

public void GetChildNodesRecursively(List<PageNodeModel> pagesToQuery)

var manager = PageManager.GetManager();

foreach (var item in pagesToQuery)

var pages = manager.GetPageNodes().Where(n => n.ShowInNavigation == true && n.ApprovalWorkflowState == "Published" && n.ParentId == item.Id)
                   .Select(PageNodeModel.ToModel)
               .ToList();

if (pages != null)

if (item.ParentId == SiteInitializer.CurrentFrontendRootNodeId)

item.ChildNodes = pages;
                       nav.Add(item);

else

item.ChildNodes = pages;

GetChildNodesRecursively(pages.ToList());

else

nav.Add(item);

View (not used the recursive method for getting the items, only 3 levels shown):
@model SitefinityWebApp.Mvc.Models.MVCNavigationModel

@*three levels shown; the url are returned relative ('~/...'), so we get absolute*@
@foreach (var item in Model.Nav)
    <div>
        <a href="@item.Url.Substring(2, item.Url.Length - 2)">@item.Title</a>
        <div>
            @foreach (var child in item.ChildNodes)

<a href="@child.Url.Substring(2, child.Url.Length - 2)" style="margin-left:30px">@child.Title</a>

foreach (var node in child.ChildNodes)

<div><a href="@node.Url.Substring(2, node.Url.Length - 2)" style="margin-left:60px">@node.Title</a></div>

</div>
    </div>

Model:
public class MVCNavigationModel

public MVCNavigationModel()

this.Nav = new List<PageNodeModel>();

public List<PageNodeModel> Nav get; set;

public class PageNodeModel

public Guid Id get; set;

public string Title get; set;

public List<PageNodeModel> ChildNodes get; set;

public PageNodeModel()

this.ChildNodes = new List<PageNodeModel>();

public Guid ParentId get; set;

public string Url get; set;

public static Func<PageNode, PageNodeModel> ToModel

get

return pn => new PageNodeModel()

Id = pn.Id,
                    Url = pn.GetFullUrl(),
                    ParentId = pn.ParentId,
                    Title = pn.Title,
                ;

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-May-2014 00:00

Thanks, Nikola. I'll try that out.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2014 00:00

Hi Doug,

I hope the provided widget help you create your custom one and achieve what you wanted. You can use similar approach to the one for getting the pages initially, to create the method for iterating recursively the collection in the view. Write back if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

That helped a lot, thank you. I have it mostly working now, but I can't see where you're getting the method GetFullUrl() for this line in the model:

Url = pn.GetFullUrl() 

Is there a Sitefinity assembly I should be using, or am I building that myself? I couldn't see it in Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageNode or your model code.

Doug

Hi Doug,

You should add a reference to Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages to be able to use the extension method. Another option is to get the URL using the ContentLocationService, but this way you should iterate the pages and get them loaded in the memory:

public static string ItemAbsoluteUrl(this PageNode node)
    var url = SystemManager.GetContentLocationService().GetItemDefaultLocation(node, default(CultureInfo)).ItemAbsoluteUrl;

return url;

You can find the above helpful for other content items, as well.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2014 00:00

Ah, that's the piece I was missing, thanks! The Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages reference worked perfectly.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Apr-2015 00:00

Just wanted to make a note on this: The posted MVC solution doesn't seem to take into account permissions.

What would be great is if we could see the included MVC navigation widget code. It is really close to what I need, but isn't quite there.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2015 00:00

Hello Joel,

The forum thread is quite old. It is much better to use the built-in Mvc navigation widget coming with Feather. Another option is to built your own navigation using the Sitemap provider since its much faster than querying the pages through the manager plus uses caching. You can also use a helper to recursively show the nodes. You can view a sample in this blog post.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

This thread is closed