Where are custom profile fields stored (the definition, not

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 01:24

Where are custom profile fields stored (the definition, not values)?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Nov-2013 00:00

I added a custom profile field through the browser. I noticed it modified App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\ContentViewConfig.config, but it also appears to store that information somewhere else. The reason I say that is that after I restored my Sitefinity database (from a clean install one), I lost that custom profile field/property.

It seems like all other Sitefinity configurations I encountered so far can be recreated by just modifying or deploying the config files in App_Data.

What is the right way to deploy custom profile fields/properties?

Thanks.

Hi,

The configuration of the field controls for the user profiles is stored in ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/ContentViewConfig.config. Depending on the appearance of a custom field it could have configuration for up to 7 views. Did you change the configuration of the field for all views? Also how does your configuration look like?

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Stefani,

Here is what I did to create the custom field. Administration | Users, click on "Manage Profile types". There is only one "Basic profile"; I clicked on Actions | "Add/Edit fields". On that page, under the "Custom fields" section, I clicked on "Add a field...". I added a field.

I then restored my Sitefinity database (I have some scripts to roll-back the database to a previous state; helpful while in development). I was expecting to see the custom field again since I thought all the config values are stored in ContentViewConfig.config.

BTW, when I do edit a user, I still see my custom field. So, it is kind of there, just not showing up in the section of the Web site where I originally created it.

Maybe if there are some good read about this, can you please send me the links. I'm probably a bit confused as to how this works.

Thanks.
Michael

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Dec-2013 00:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to review these articles:

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/installation-and-administration-guide/users-roles-and-permissions/managing-users/managing-user-profiles/editing-profile-types

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/user-guide/website-content/adding-custom-fields-to-content-items

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/installation-and-administration-guide/users-roles-and-permissions/managing-users/managing-user-profiles

www.sitefinity.com/.../creating-a-profile-type

If you have a requests for adding some additional information/articles to our documentation please inform us.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Dec-2013 00:00

Thanks.
Michael

This thread is closed