Downloading Large files from File System storage timing out

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:50

Downloading Large files from File System storage timing out

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Dec-2013 00:00

We have just launched a new website using Sitefinity 6.2 and hosted on an Azure VM.

We have been receiving a lot of calls from our website visitors trying to download large files (50-150MB) from the new website, complaining it is taking a very long time, it times out and/or it doesn’t download completely, resulting in a corrupted file. 

In one particular case that I was assisting with, a person tried to download a 60MB file from our website (being stored in Sitefinity under ‘File System’, not ‘Database’), and she kept  getting ‘Network errors’ relating to the download in her browser. (see screenshot here: screencast.com/.../QlfiTLLn)

When we checked the error logging on our server, we noticed it was returning this error in relation to that specific download request:
System.Web.Exception HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.

I then placed that same 60MB file external to Sitefinity in two places:

1. In the root folder of the web site on the Azure VM, and 
  2. On a locally hosted Web Server. 
The user was able to successfully download that file from both of those places. However, no matter how many times the user tried to download the file that was stored in Sitefinity, it failed with the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this, and any possible resolutions?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2013 00:00

Hi,

I am going to post the ticket reply here so it may help other users who encounter a problem like this one:

This is happening because the request is timing out after 110 seconds and if the speed of the download was slower, the file was not being downloaded in full. To prevent this, find the following line in the web.config:

<httpRuntime executionTimeout="43200" maxRequestLength="102400" maxUrlLength="102400" maxQueryStringLength="102400" requestValidationType="Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Claims.CustomRequestValidator, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>

And set the marked section to that value(if it is missing, add it) that way the timeout will be 12 hours and the downloads should be working.

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2015 00:00

I am experiencing the same issue on a SF8 install, EXCEPT, my downloads work fine in Chrome & Firefox, small downloads are fine in IE, but larger ones are not.

Anyone got any clues?

Thanks,

Mat.

This thread is closed