How to get the Native MVC templates in Visual Studio

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:24

How to get the Native MVC templates in Visual Studio

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Feb-2014 00:00

I'm using VS 2010.  Sitefinity 6.3 demo.  Default website that is configured out of the box.

I was excited to learn the Sitefinity has native MVC support.  However, there does appear to be some aspects of the developer experience that feels less than Native.  

For instance, when I try to add a new item to the project, let's say a Razor View, I do not have any of the native MVC templates at my disposal.  I have to create generic class, blank it out and type it from scratch.  Another example: Controllers.  I can not create a controller using the wizard which helps build out some of the boilerplate code.

Is there a way to modify the csproj file so it is recognized as an MVC website so I can do native development?

Peace,
Brian

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2014 00:00

Hi Brian,

The approach you have taken imposes considerable limitations and I agree that it is far from optimal. To address that aspect of the MVC development, we have created a free Visual Studio Extension named Sitefinity Thunder.

With the assistance of that tool, you can quickly create MVC controllers and views (link here). Since Sitefinity is a WebForms project, you cannot see the typical contextual options available within Visual Studio for ASP.NET MVC projects like scaffolding and Add view from controller, but Thunder helps a lot in that regard, so please take a look at it.

If you prefer the native MVC project type of features, you can make the VisualStudio project a Hybrid one and allow for having the MVC 4 project type features ("E3E379DF-F4C6-4180-9B81-6769533ABE47"). Please take a look at the following video to see how (link here)

Last, but not least we have started a very exciting project to improve the the experience for ASP.NET MVC designers and developers working with Sitefinity. That is the Feather Project and shall be live very soon (http://projectfeather.sitefinity.com/)

Regards,
Peter
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed