Custom Template Path for Navigation control

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 18:00

Custom Template Path for Navigation control

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Feb-2014 00:00

In Sitefinity 4.X, when you configured a navigation control, under "Design Settings" you could set Custom Template Path to a user control that you created. 

We are trying to move to version 6.X, and in the user interface for the navigation control, the Custom Template Path entry does not exist anymore. When I try to set the path to the user control via the Layout Template Path entry in version 6, I get an error that says, "A required control was not found in the template for "~/ControlTemplates/RetireTrackNav/RetireTrackNav.ascx". The control must be assignable from type "Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.NavigationControls.SitefinitySiteMapDataSource" and must have ID "dataSource". This implies that perhaps I have to change my code, but I haven't been able to find out how to change my code so it will work, or even if that is the real fix.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Feb-2014 00:00

Hello Mark,

You got the right path, but this error indicates that you are missing the SitefinitySiteMapDataSource control
from your page template. You can use the out-of-the-box template as starter point, which could be found on your navigation widget Edit, pick up a template end click "Edit selected template".

If you need to extend the out-of-the-box navigation, you create your own user control, and you need to inherit from LightNavigationControl class.

You can also activate the older Navigation by registering it in your toolbox sections as described in this documentation article:
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/old-navigation-widget

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed