How to get display a link to a Media field with custom link

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 13:48

How to get display a link to a Media field with custom link text

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Apr-2014 00:00

Hi,

We are using the AssetsField control in a widget template to display a link to a Media item.  By default it seems to use the Media item's title/filename.  Is there a way to have it use another field for the title instead?  Or, alternatively, a way to get just the URL to the Media item so we can craft our own link markup?

Thanks!

Dave

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2014 00:00

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, there is no property you can add to the markup from the template. However, the good news are that as most of the Sitefinity controls, the assets field is highly extendable and customizable. You can create your custom control that inherits the AssetsField and override its LayoutTemplatePath or other properties, as well. You can find more information here, as well as, the original template as a road map for customization.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2014 00:00

Thanks Nikola,

Is there any way to get the URL itself inside the widget template?  Something like <%# Eval("MediaUrl") %> ?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Apr-2014 00:00

Hi Dave,

Please, refer to this forum thread to see what you have to implement in your custom AssetsField after inheriting from the base. It is shown how to get and set the document url and the title of the link.
You can find this forum thread helpful, as well.
I recommend using the following approach for getting the thumbnails for the documents:

protected virtual Label Thumbnail

get

return this.Container.GetControl<Label>("thumbnail", true);

protected override void OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

base.OnPreRender(e);
                        this.Thumbnail.CssClass = "sfdownloadDetails sf" + document.Extension.Replace(".", "");

and the following css:
<style>
    .sfdownloadDetails
    background: url("/WebResource.axd?d=v4CAegCSzP5VshqWP8cglV-ZyQ-hRY4dPcSAi0VUTkmbkr47XqdVfNIgaMc6SxjBb3Oe2ctjdyZyPxdUG0d1RvMZB_3pqCfzxRhiKWMZJasnmPVpE70wbQBhGXjbOr3-bddxF7fA8-cR078xp4ScB8DotixO1B3jS5jy7V129Uf6udiagwg73dillFCIFVgqWXD6y0YV8N0-Qer4YnlUwg2&t=635228974320000000") no-repeat scroll 0 0 rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
    display: inline-block;
    padding: 3px 0 15px 50px;
    width:30px;
    height:30px;
.sfpdf
    background-position: 0 -100px;
.sfdoc
    background-position: 0 -200px;
.sfrtf
    background-position: 0 -300px;
 .sftxt
    background-position: 0 -400px;
.sfxls
    background-position: 0 -500px;
.sfdocx
    background-position: 0 -1600px;
.sfxlsx
    background-position: 0 -1700px;
.sfcsv
    background-position: 0 -1800px;

</style>
You can add the different extensions, as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Apr-2014 00:00

Hi Nikola,

I found out that the ToolTip property seemed to do accomplish what I was looking for.  I ended up with with this markup:

<sf:AssetsField ID="afDownload" runat="server" ToolTip='<%# Eval("Title")%>' DataFieldName="Download" />

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Apr-2014 00:00

Hello Dave,

Thank you for sharing your way of solving the issue. You can still extend the widget for deeper customization in the future and I hope the information I suggested was helpful and sufficient.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

This thread is closed