Tags selector error

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:41

Tags selector error

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-May-2014 00:00

I am trying to implement a tag selector on my MVC widget designer. I am following the instruction that is posted here: www.sitefinity.com/.../creating-a-custom-widget-designer-using-sitefinity-and-sitefinity-thunder-part-2

I originally followed the original instruction but keep getting an error cannot cast System.String to System.Guid[]. So I decided that I just need one tag instead of multiple tags

<sitefinity:FlatTaxonField
         ID="TagsSelector"
         runat="server"
         DisplayMode="Write"
         WebServiceUrl="~/Sitefinity/Services/Taxonomies/FlatTaxon.svc/cb0f3a19-a211-48a7-88ec-77495c0f5374"
         TaxonomyMetafieldName="Tags"
         AllowMultipleSelection="false"
         Expanded="false"
         Title="Tags" />

I modified the .js file to:

/* Called when the designer window gets opened and here is place to "bind" your designer to the control properties */
    refreshUI: function ()
        var controlData = this._propertyEditor.get_control().Settings; /* JavaScript clone of your control - all the control properties will be properties of the controlData too */

/* RefreshUI SelectedTagId */
        jQuery(this.get_selectedTagId()).val(controlData.SelectedTagId);

// load tags
        var t = this.get_TagsSelector();
        debugger;
        if (controlData.SelectedTagId !== null && controlData.SelectedTagId !== '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000')
            t.set_value(controlData.SelectedTagId);

/* Called when the "Save" button is clicked. Here you can transfer the settings from the designer to the control */
    applyChanges: function ()
        var controlData = this._propertyEditor.get_control().Settings;
        debugger;
        /* ApplyChanges SelectedTagId */
        controlData.SelectedTagId = jQuery(this.get_selectedTagId()).val();

// save selected tags
        var t = this.get_TagsSelector();
        var tags = t.get_value();
        if (tags != null)
            controlData.SelectedTagId = t.get_value();
        else
            controlData.SelectedTagId = '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000';

I received an error when I click the 'Save' button:

PUT 192.168.21.142:8888/.../ControlPropertyService…radePageVersion=False&propertyLocalization=0&isOpenedByBrowseAndEdit=false 500 (There was an error deserializing the object of type Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.Model.WcfControlProperty[]. End element 'PropertyValue' from namespace '' expected. Found element 'item' from namespace ''.)

I attached the more detailed error message from Chrome. Could anyone point out what I am doing wrong here?

Posted by Community Admin on 12-May-2014 00:00

Hello,

Please note that in the documentation the selectedTags field and property of type Guid[]. If you want to assign or get a value of type System.String you should either use Guid.Parse(stringValue) or Guid.ToString() methods.

About the error you are encountering currently, I will need more information in order to find what cause it. Could you share the code-behind used by the TagSelector?

Regards,
Andrey
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-May-2014 00:00

I think the root of the problem here is having the public access modifier on the SelectedTags properties. That properties somehow is picked up by the Designer and the value is always 'System.Guid[]', so when I click the save button that string value will be passed to the SelectedTags value that expects an array of Guid.

I changed the access modifier of selectedTags field and SelectedTags properties to private and the selector starts to work properly.

Attached is the screenshot of the error and the Advanced mode of the designer

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2014 00:00

Hello,

Yes, there is a mistake in the demo code. Actually the selectedTags field should be private, otherwise you could violate the property initialization and get an exception.

By making the properties private you are hiding them from the designer. Sitefinity only iterates through the public properties of the designer file. Could you verify that you are modifying the widget UI file and not the designer UI file?

Additionally, I was not able to find any of the attachments you are referring to. Could you share your code behind file?

Regards,
Andrey
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2014 00:00

I believe the SelectedTags properties has to be private also, not only the selectedTags field. Otherwise that properties will be picked up by Sitefinity Designer and the javascript will try to pass string ('System.Guid[]) to the SelectedTags (array of Guid) which is the root of the problem.

I did not post the code on the previous post, I am not sure why you need it now, because I don't experience the problem again, but here it is.

using System;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Taxonomies;

namespace SitefinityWebApp.WidgetDesigners.TagTest
    /// <summary>
    /// Represents a designer for the <typeparamref name="SitefinityWebApp.Mvc.Controllers.TagTestController"/> widget
    /// </summary>
    public class TagTestDesigner : ControlDesignerBase

#region Properties
        /// <summary>
        /// Obsolete. Use LayoutTemplatePath instead.
        /// </summary>
        protected override string LayoutTemplateName

get

return string.Empty;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets the layout template's relative or virtual path.
        /// </summary>
        public override string LayoutTemplatePath

get

if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(base.LayoutTemplatePath))
                    return AssociatedInsightsDesigner.layoutTemplatePath;
                return base.LayoutTemplatePath;

set

base.LayoutTemplatePath = value;

protected override HtmlTextWriterTag TagKey

get

return HtmlTextWriterTag.Div;

#endregion

#region Control references
        protected virtual Control TagValue

get

return this.Container.GetControl<Control>("TagValue", true);

protected FlatTaxonField TagsSelector

get return Container.GetControl<FlatTaxonField>("TagsSelector", true);

#endregion

#region Methods
        protected override void InitializeControls(Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.GenericContainer container)

// initialize the taxonomy selectors
            TagsSelector.TaxonomyId = TaxonomyManager.TagsTaxonomyId;

#endregion

#region IScriptControl implementation
        /// <summary>
        /// Gets a collection of script descriptors that represent ECMAScript (JavaScript) client components.
        /// </summary>
        public override System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Web.UI.ScriptDescriptor> GetScriptDescriptors()

var scriptDescriptors = new List<ScriptDescriptor>(base.GetScriptDescriptors());
            var descriptor = (ScriptControlDescriptor)scriptDescriptors.Last();

descriptor.AddElementProperty("tagValue", this.TagValue.ClientID);
            descriptor.AddComponentProperty("TagsSelector", this.TagsSelector.ClientID);

return scriptDescriptors;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets a collection of ScriptReference objects that define script resources that the control requires.
        /// </summary>
        public override System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Web.UI.ScriptReference> GetScriptReferences()

var scripts = new List<ScriptReference>(base.GetScriptReferences());
            scripts.Add(new ScriptReference(TagTestDesigner.scriptReference));
            return scripts;

#endregion

#region Private members & constants
        public static readonly string layoutTemplatePath = "~/WidgetDesigners/TagTest/TagTestDesigner.ascx";
        public const string scriptReference = "~/WidgetDesigners/TagTest/TagTestDesigner.js";
        #endregion

Posted by Community Admin on 15-May-2014 00:00

Hi,

Yes, one way is to leave the properties as private if you do not intend to use them elsewhere, however, you could just mark the SelectedTags property as Browsable(false). Thus the designer will skip it when enumerating the properties.

Regards,
Andrey
Telerik

This thread is closed