Collaborating on Sitefinity project

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 23:22

Collaborating on Sitefinity project

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-May-2014 00:00

Hi All, 

We are currently working on a sitefinity site for one of our clients and we had a couple of questions about developing a sitefinity site.

Development:

What are the best ways to collaborate on a sitefinity project?  Do we need to setup a development server, install sitefinity and work on it remotely?

Is there a way to have individual development environments?

Can we accomplish everything with a trial version of sitefinity or do we need to use our clients paid license for something.

Deployment: 

If we create a development sitefinity site with a MYSQL db backing it, will we have any issues deploying it to a production server using a different flavor of DB, like MSSQL etc? 

Are the export/import tools relatively painless?

Posted by Community Admin on 15-May-2014 00:00

Dear Josh

It's just me but I try to keep the development environment as close as possible to the productive environment. Just developing on SQL 2013 and try to deploy to SQL 2010 or so would probably get you into trouble you don't want.

So my advice would be not to use MYSQL if you planning to deploy to SQL Server.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 15-May-2014 00:00

Hello all,

@Josh

The development cycle in Sitefinity is no different than the one for all ASP.Net websites. Therefore you have the flexibility to chose your own process. What the most common practice illustrates is that clients prefer having separate environments for their development, staging, testing and production environments. Each of those is hosted on a separate server or different server instance.

A trial licence will not do as it will eventually expire and not allow your development to continue. The most common practice for licencing the development environments is to register a subdomain to your licence and use it to develop.

As far as the SQL server instance goes - I have to agree with Markus. A transition between MySQL and MSSQL will present difficulties. My advice is to stick to the original database server you started with when creating the project. Additionally I do not think that listing the arguments that point to MSSQL's superiority to MySQL.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed