7.0 Category Widget Set Starting Category

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 13:50

7.0 Category Widget Set Starting Category

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-May-2014 00:00

Sitefinity is so kind to let us drag an category widget to a page and filter a gallery of
image easy by whatever category the client clicks. Super easy in 5 seconds.

I was wondering if there is an easy way to set kind of a starting node for the
widget.

All Countries
- Switzerland
- USA
- Bulgaria

All Animals
- Mammals
- Reptiles

I have an image gallery with Animals where I add a category to each image
I have an image gallery with city pictures where I add the a category to each image

Now I would like to display the animals in a gallery on the page and use the
category widget so the client can filter. But of course he should only be able category
with the animals.

So I was wondering if this can be done out of the box.

Markus

Here is an example

musikpauli.ch.mserver3.arvixevps.com/.../verkaufslokal 
has images from library Lokalitäten with categories: Alle Lokalitäten, Verkaufladen, Musikschule
All other categories return blank result since they are linked to another image library

musikpauli.ch.mserver3.arvixevps.com/.../instrumente
has image from library Insturment with categories: Alle Instrument, Streichinstrumente, Blasinstrumente. Again Alle Lokalitäten, Verkaufladen, Musikschule return empty since there are no images in the filtered gallery with that categories.

And yes I know that guns are no instruments :-)

Posted by Community Admin on 31-May-2014 00:00

Hi Markus,

If I am understanding you correctly you want to display only the categories associated with images, but not categories which are not associated to any image. Would it be possible to confirm that this is your desired scenario and I will inspect how it can be achieved. If you want to achieve different scenario please feel free to correct me. In this case it will be great if you can record and a short video for demonstration.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jun-2014 00:00

Dear Kaloyan

I want to display only categories that are used in a certain image library. 

Library 1
- image 1.1-> category 1,  category 1.1
- image 1.2-> category 1,  category 1.2
- image 1.3-> category 1,  category 1.3

Library 2
- image 2.1-> category 2,  category 2.1
- image 2.2-> category 2,  category 2.2
- image 2.3-> category 2,  category 2.3

Page 1

Gallery widget filters to show only library 1 
Now I would like to have a category widget that shows category 1 (all images from library 1), category 1.1, category 1.2, category 1.3

Page 2

Gallery widget filters to show only library 2 
Now I would like to have a category widget that shows category 2 (all images from library 2), category 2.1, category 2.2, category 2.3

I know that you can tell the category widget to show only categories that are used for images (designer would be nice) but I do not know how to link them to a certain image library. 

So I thought the simplest way/work around would be to have category trees for each library and kind of having a starting point like category 1 and all below.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2014 00:00

Dear Kaloyan

Did my last post help to show what I want?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi Markus,

I am afraid that your desired scenario cannot be achieved using out of the box widgets and you may need to implement a custom solution. Basically you can retrieve all the categories from images of particular image library and then display them, but this could be harmful for the overall performance. I can submit a Feature request in our feedback portal if you can clarify how exactly this functionality should behave.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed