Unable to add custom fields in News module after migrating t

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:26

Unable to add custom fields in News module after migrating to 6.2

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2014 00:00

We migrated a 3.7 version sitefinity project to 6.2 . The older version had some custom fields with custom  controls in the news module. These custom fields did not migrate to the 6.2 version. The 3.7 version was a website project. So it migrated as a website project in 6.2.

I am unable to add a custom control to the news module in a "website" project.

I have seen some samples for adding custom control to a module in a"web application" project. But I did not see a sample for adding a custom control to a "website" project. Can you please help me.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jun-2014 00:00

Hello Aruna,

In order to migrate your Sitefinity 3.7 project to Sitefinity 6.2 you need to run the Project Manager of Sitefinity 6.2 and to create a new Sitefinity 6.2 website and then perform the upgrade as described in the following article. From the Project Manager you can open your Sitefinity 6.2 project for editing in Visual Studio. In order to do this please right click on the project and then select Edit in Visual Studio. This way the project will open in Visual Studio as a web application. You may also take a look at the following article for more details on project manager's functions.

Another option is to open your project folder and click on the .csproj file.

It is important to note that in Sitefinity 4.0 we have introduced a brand new API. Unfortunately, Sitefinity does not migrate your custom controls/modules created using the old API because of the difference in the architecture and the structure between the old API and the new API introduced in Sitefinity 4.0. Therefore, you will need to rewrite your custom controls in order to make them compatible with the new API. 

You can take a look at the following resources for detailed information about the new API:

1. Sitefinity essentials - how you can perform tasks through the API
  2. Migrating Sitefinity 3 to 4 Deep Dive: Preparation
  3. Migrating Sitefinity 3 to 4 Deep Dive: API Changes
  4. Migrating Sitefinity 3 to 4 Deep Dive: Common Error Messages
  5. Sitefinity 3 to 4 Migration webinar notes
  6. Custom widgets migration
  7. “Hello World” guide to custom Sitefinity Widgets
  8. Anatomy of a Sitefinity 4 Widget

For registering and creating new types of controls, you can use our tool - Sitefinity Thunder.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed