Dev vs.Production Environments

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:07

Dev vs.Production Environments

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jul-2014 00:00

Hi guys!

I've run into an issue logging into the Admin section of my Sitefinty installation in our Dev and Staging environments. *Production works as intended*

Here's the back story: We created 3 environments Dev, Staging and QA. All three were instances of an OVF file from our vendor who originally built the website. 

The Dev and Staging instances of the website are behind a firewall and have no public IPs assigned to them. Only the Production instance of the website can be  reached publicly .

As I'm on our network,  when I navigate to our Dev or Staging websites over our private IP, The websites show in the browser, however it will not load any style sheets. Just un-styled markup. 

Do you have to declare the environments as dev/qa/prod anywhere? or reconfigure the licensee? 

Are there any obvious things I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for the read!

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jul-2014 00:00

I would open chrome or firefox\firebug and in the net tab just see where the files are coming from...should be easy to see they're 404ing, but that should give you a lead

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jul-2014 00:00

Thanks for the response Steve!

Firebug revealed the below stylesheet, in Dev or QA, is totally blank.

When I view it in the Production environment, it's populated as intended. 

Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/xx/App_Themes/xx/Global/Style.css?v=xxxxxxxxxx

Is this stylesheet something Sitefinity tries to compile? If so, what can prevent it from doing so?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jul-2014 00:00

No it's not doing anything fancy..all it does it append a hash to any .css file in the themes global folder so any chages are instantly visible (so users don't have to clear cache)

I have fired up hundreds of instances and never seen this...the only time I have is if someone uses the css\js WIDGET and forgets to remove the domain prefix...I was thinking that was your problem, but NOPE :)

Can you attach a screenshot of firebug for me?...open that Style.css nodes "Response" tab as well?

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jul-2014 00:00

Hi guys,

Steve is right - the answer is somewhere in the console so any info on its contents will be beneficial. Alternatively I can suggest you take a look at how you have registered the theme and also check the read/write permissions and restrictions your environment imposes on the solution's root file system. Maybe there is something preventing the files from loading. Also you can check the permissions of the IIS identity on the Production server and see if it has full controls over the files.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed