Module custom "special" provider

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 18:27

Module custom "special" provider

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2014 00:00

Hi,

I need some advices for a special module architecture.

I must do a custom module,  but i need to connect to an other database . I must use providers, but their is a problem: its interbase with odbc connectors. So i presume i cant use standard openaccess stuff (like entity framework : not support of odbc).

My first idea was to write a "custom provider", in which i ll populate my models form dataset via linq.I think to implements provider's abstract methods (GetModuleItem; IQueryable<ModuleItem> GetModuleItems() etc)  with classic odbc code.

My goal is to keep a standard sitefinity module architecture, and have same use of a standard module  in others steps of developpement (widgets frontend/backend etc).

Is my approach correct? Should i do this directly on services, and skip the provider? or an completely different approach?

My very first problem is:  what is the "proper" way to implement this?

Required :

• Custom module with standard architecture
    • implement data model
    • use of sitefinity services
    • use default sitefinity list /create update views
  • Connect external DB for module datas
  • Use ODBC connector

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Nov-2014 00:00

Nobody can help?

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Nov-2014 00:00

Hello ​Stéphane,

Yes, this is the correct approach. You have to create a custom data provider. In this documentation article you can find tutorials how to create different custom modules, implement the data model, implement the frontends and backend views.

Moreover you can use Sitefinity Thunder to create a custom module. Thunder provides an option to choose data access layer for the custom module between OpenAccess and Entity Framework. So you can investigate how the provider is implemented. 

Regards,
Nadezhda Petrova
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed