How to implement a "Like, Dislike" widget?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 04:36

How to implement a "Like, Dislike" widget?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2014 00:00

To whom it may concern,

I would like to implement a "Like, Dislike" widget beside the blog posts as exactly the same as the two in the screenshots. It seems that the "Like, Dislike" widget is actually a form widget by inspection. However it is a bit complicated for me to implement as I am new to Sitefinity and web development. 

How can I customize the form widget as a "like" and "dislike" button and two "dialogs" showing how many has voted above the buttons?

After I vote for like and dislike, unlike the default form widget in Sitefinity, it doesn't redirect to a new page. Is it something to deal with AJAX?

I have a lot of blog posts to insert the "Like, Dislike" widget. Should I implement a template (layout, theme? not sure!) to hold it and apply it to all blog posts?

The above "Like, Dislike" widget is considered as the same widget across all blog posts. How can the widget record the votes with respect to the blog posts it resides?

That's all I can think of to implement the widget. Would you mind giving me the implementations of the "Like, Dislike" widget with guidelines?

Thank you

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Dec-2014 00:00

Hello,

We provided a reply in the support ticket you have opened. We will share the information with the community as well.

Unfortunately, the like/dislike functionality is not out of the box in Sitefinity. We do have the standard Like button for Facebook.

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/user-guide/widgets/social-widgets-group/configuring-the-facebook-like-widget

The like/dislike buttons you have sent through in screen shots is part of our Feedback system which runs on a different piece of software specifically for our feedback system.

You could create a widget which has these functions however it would take some developer time and skills to achieve this.

We have a site sample called DevReach (http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/tutorial-create-devreach-site-with-related-data-feature) which has a system which uses dynamic  content to allow people to register for a conference and the sessions. The Dynamic module has an attendees field to store attendee. Similarly you could add like/dislike fields and then in the same way as the DevReach site adds attendees, you could like/dislike the content.

Here is the code sample for DevReach: http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/implement-the-code-behind

I hope the suggestions provided above were useful.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed