Featured Item Widget from custom content types

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:28

Featured Item Widget from custom content types

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2015 00:00

I have a question regarding the best way to create a "Featured Items" widget to be displayed on the home page of our Sitefinity site. Using the custom module builder we have built different resources such as Case Studies, White Papers, Webinars, etc. 

My goal is to have a single item of each of these resources displayed on our homepage as a list of horizontal thumbnail items using the thumbnail of the content item as well as its title and URL. 

I'm flexible on implementation. Either the user can be on the home page and select whichever content item they need OR it each item could have a field within its content type such as "featured on home page" radio button for example. 

Let me know if there's any additional information needed or if my requirements are unclear by any means. 

Thanks in advance!

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2015 00:00

Hello Jonathan,

In order to achieve your scenario, you can use the following approach:
- Add a related filed for the thumbnail image you want (for example TitleImage)
- Set this filed to be shown as widget (screenshot)
- Please the widget of your type on a Page and edit the list template: Edit > List Settings > Edit Template (or create e new one)
- Add the thumbnail field in the template where you need it
- Than you just have to manage the layout as per your needs (Each Item is rendered in li tag element, that you can style as a list of horizontal thumbnail items).

Here is a short video how to achieve this.

I hope the information helps.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2015 00:00

While I appreciate your response, I don't think this is how I envisioned it working. Our website has 100+ pages and most of them include a sidebar to display content that our content managers will need to add. I know the case studies custom module I built has the option to display either "All published case studies" or "One particular case study only..."

I'm just looking for a way for a user to display individually selected case studies and output ONLY those into a list that gets put into a widget template..

The reason for wanting them grouped together in a list is because I would like to put these items into a carousel and using jQuery I'm going to hide or show them one at a time. But I don't want to grab ALL the case studies, just the ones our content managers want to display on the page. 

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jan-2015 00:00

Hi Jonathan,

If i correctly understand your scenario you have two approaches:
1) Using Categories filter
- Add a custom filed - Category to the content type you need to list
- Set one or more category the your content items
- When drag the List widget of your content type select the Category/ies you need to filter (screenshot)

2) Another option is to Create a new dedicated content type with related data your content type (Featured Items). 
- Create a new Dynamic content type (ex: StoreFeaturedItems) with one related data filed of your content type (Featured Items)
- Set Display selected items on the frontend using... to  Dynamic Widget
In that case you can create separate Item of the new Store type that will contains the list of related items you want to display on the frontend. Than you just need to choose that new StoreFeaturedItems item on the Page and it will list the related Featured Items.

I hope the information above was useful.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed