Mapping news detail control to custom template

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:16

Mapping news detail control to custom template

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2015 00:00

I am trying to map the detail control in the news widget to a custom template using ControlsConfig.config.

I have added the following to the file:

<viewSettings layoutTemplatePath="~/WebsiteTemplates/MySiteTemplate/WidgetTemplates/NewsArticle.ascx" hostType="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.News.Web.UI.DetailsSimpleView, Telerik.Sitefinity.ContentModules" />

However the widget is still using the built-in template. I have tried adding the layout template path to the widget instead using Home -> ControlDefinition -> Views ->NewsFrontendDetails -> TemplatePath in the advanced widget settings and this does work (but is not an ideal solution). Do I need to use a different host type in the config file?

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Mar-2015 00:00

Hi Haroon,

You can check the documentation articles here and here for more information about using template editor and external template file.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Mar-2015 00:00

Hi Svetoslav,

As mentioned I have already mapped the template using the technique in your second link (the widget TemplatePath field), but this isn't an ideal solution as it needs to be set every time a widget is added. I also prefer not to use the method in the first link as I like to keep templates in external files rather than editing the built-in ones.

I have mapped other widget templates already using ControlsConfig.config and they do work (including the news list template), it is only the news detail one that does not. Is there a problem with the hostType I'm using?

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Mar-2015 00:00

Hello Haroon,

Try to use the View map under:
Administration > Settings > Advanced > Controls > ViewMap > Create New (screenshot)
HostType: Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.News.Web.UI.DetailsSimpleView, Telerik.Sitefinity.ContentModules
LayoutTemplatePath: ~/Widgets/CustomNewsDetails.ascx (the path to your control)

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Mar-2015 00:00

That view map already exists since those settings write the data to the same ControlsConfig.config file I have already used - removing it from the file and re-entering it through the advanced settings menu just updates the file with the same data. The template still does not map to the news detail view at all.

I have used the same technique for the list view and that does work, which is why I suspect the mapping itself (host type) may be wrong, or perhaps the news widget is not using it correctly?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2015 00:00

Hi Haroon,

This should works. Here is a screenshot of my test.

Please check if the HostType and LayoutTemplatePath are correct and ensure that the the application is restarted.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

This thread is closed