Search ReIndex never successfully completes

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:20

Search ReIndex never successfully completes

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2015 00:00

I am at a loss to what is causing the error below. I have reduced the Search options to only do Static HTML Pages, Have encapsulated CustomWidget ItemDatabound logic with 
if (this.Page.Items["IsInIndexMode"] == null)

I've even tried to debug and step thru search logic to identify the offending object

Is there anyway to identify the offending object?

Error log entry
----------------------------------------
Timestamp: 5/13/2015 8:34:54 PM

Message: HandlingInstanceID: 64bb8d63-47d5-435b-9c53-143520d0a6f2
An exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred and was caught.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
05/13/2015 13:34:54
Type : System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Message : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source : Telerik.Sitefinity
Help link : 
Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
TargetSite : Void ToPublishingPoint()
HResult : -2147467261
Stack Trace :    at Telerik.Sitefinity.Publishing.Pipes.PageInboundPipe.ToPublishingPoint()
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Publishing.PublishingManager.InvokeInboundPushPipes(PublishingPoint point, String providerName)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Publishing.Web.Services.PublishingAdminService.ReindexSearchContent(String providerName, String pointId)
   at SyncInvokeReindexSearchContent(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

Additional Info:

MachineName : MBOX-2012-DEV01
TimeStamp : 5/13/2015 8:34:54 PM
FullName : Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Version=7.0.5100.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563
AppDomainName : /LM/W3SVC/24/ROOT-1-130760164975908266
ThreadIdentity : 
WindowsIdentity : IIS APPPOOL\FSU Testing
Requested URL : sf.mboxdesign.com/.../

Category: ErrorLog

Priority: 0

EventId: 90000

Severity: Error

Title:Enterprise Library Exception Handling

Machine: MBOX-2012-DEV01

App Domain: /LM/W3SVC/24/ROOT-1-130760164975908266

ProcessId: 10028

Process Name: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe

Thread Name: 

Win32 ThreadId:6936

Extended Properties: 
----------------------------------------

Posted by Community Admin on 15-May-2015 00:00

I've now Unpublished all Published Pages, Created a page using the standard three row template from the included templates. So there should only be one page to index and that page should not cause an error.

Log file still shows same error above.

Edition: Standard Edition
Date of activation: 24 Sep 2013
Product version: 7.0.5100.0
Customer name: ---------------------------
Build version: 7.0.5100.0
Email: ------------------------------------------

Any insight or ideas to isolate the issue would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2015 00:00

Hello John,

My advise is to delete the old search index and then try to create a brand new one. When you delete it from the backend of your project please check ~/app_data/sitefitiy/search folder for any leftover files. The next step is to create a brand new index and try to re-index the only published page. Using this approach you can determine whether there was a problem with the previous search index itself. I would recommend to try this on a backup of your project first.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2015 00:00

Folder(s) do not get deleted or generated, This is something new, I watched the directories getting deleted and regenerated last week.
App Pool Entity has full control over app_data directories, Network Service has Modify rights, iis usrs has read execute.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2015 00:00

I'm Stepping back, This is a Dev Instance of the project, I am in the process of creating a clone of the production server and will start over with this. 

In the current state, the only way to get the Search Reindex to complete is to turn off Static HTML in page. But this misses 98% of the site. Most information is unique on each page is in unshared content blocks.

If I create an index, indexing doesn't appear to start until I click on reIndex, then I get the message above. If I then try to ReIndex again, watching the parent directory, the directory sometimes goes away, sometimes not. So I then create another index, tell it to index, and the new directory appears, usually has about four files in it, then the message appears.

Thank you for the assistance.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-May-2015 00:00

Ok, Have a fresh Clone of the production server, Created a new index.

Directory was not created, so I ReIndexed the new index, still no directory created.

I created the directory, ran ReIndex, watched the directory disappear, but not recreate.

This worked previously, I'm not sure where to look at this point, 

Posted by Community Admin on 22-May-2015 00:00

Hello John,

It seems that something displayed on a page cannot be indexed and this might be the reason you cannot re-index. I would advise to open a support ticket where you can provide a copy of your project and I can inspect the problem in details on my end.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2015 00:00

Thank you Kaloyan, 

To anyone else that is encountering this error, it turned out to be redirect pages that had invalid links, deleted or moved within sitefinity. During testing on a cloned instance of the site and database, I deleted all redirect pages and reindexed, index completed successfully, then on the production site, I went thru all redirect pages and confirmed each link was valid. After this Re-indexing completed successfully.

This thread is closed