Getting Data into Sitefinity (The Best Way)

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:21

Getting Data into Sitefinity (The Best Way)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2015 00:00

Currently this is how we get data on to our website:

We use SSIS to get data from a web service provided by our Software Provider.  We httprequest and login, get a token, and then download XML files.  We then process the XML files to download the property images from their URLS.

Once in the database we then transform the data into the correct format for the website we SSIS to copy the data to an access database and then this is FTP to our web server each night.

How should I do this in Sitefinity?

1. Can I add some kind of script task in SSIS to connect to Sitefinity and then update a custom module?  I would need to refresh the custom module each day at least by deleting all data and then recreating it from the database.

2. Should I bypass SSIS and somehow create a custom feed that can login directly to our Software Providers webservice to consume the XML and process the data in the feed and add this data to a custom module? 

I've no idea where to begin with either approach, or whether there is a better way to do this.  Any help much appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2015 00:00

Best way?  I don't know about the "best", but this is what we do.

Create a custom webservice (.asmx) and put all the import code there.  The custom modules all have documentation in the backend to create/edit & update each data type.

Then we simply add the webservice task right to the SSIS package.  

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

This thread is closed