Checking permissions or customising Forums module

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 05:39

Checking permissions or customising Forums module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-May-2015 00:00

I'm new to Sitefinity and .NET. I'd like to customise Forums module from Sitefinity 8.0, so that only moderators can create new threads, and that ordinary users (who don't have a right to create a new thread) won't get a "New thread" link at all. I've modified the permissions for that (following docs.sitefinity.com/forums). However, ordinary users still get "New thread" link, but that link fails for them. Instead, I'd like not to show that link at all.

I have a custom template for my Forums gadget > Edit > Advanced > ControlDefinition > Views > ForumsFrontendPostsList > TemplatePath and it is being used. How do I check in the template whether the user can create a new thread?

Also, I've created a custom class

namespace SitefinityWebApp.MyPackage.Forums
   public class PostListView : Telerik.Sitefinity.Forums.Web.UI.PostsListView
      public PostListView()
         var unusedVariableJustToSetAbreakpoint = 1;

and but I don't know how to check permissions in it. Also, I don't know where to register that class (I looked at Administration->Settings->Advanced-> Forums > Controls > Create new). When I put that class namespace and class name to Forums gadget > Edit > Advanced > ControlDefinition > Views > ForumsFrontendPostsList > ViewType (replacing the original Telerik.Sitefinity.Forums.Web.UI.PostsListView) and I save it, it gets reverted back.

Please advise (with a code snapshot if it needs custom code).

This thread is closed