Ninject MVC with Sitefinity

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:56

Ninject MVC with Sitefinity

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jun-2015 00:00

I have created a Sitefinity MVC4 project, however when I try to use Ninject MVC4 to use IOC, I get the following error. The same example works fine in a regular MVC project

Error activating ICommonFacadeWrapper
No matching bindings are available, and the type is not self-bindable.
Activation path:
  2) Injection of dependency ICommonFacadeWrapper into parameter wrapper of constructor of type HomeController
  1) Request for HomeController

Suggestions:
  1) Ensure that you have defined a binding for ICommonFacadeWrapper.
  2) If the binding was defined in a module, ensure that the module has been loaded into the kernel.
  3) Ensure you have not accidentally created more than one kernel.
  4) If you are using constructor arguments, ensure that the parameter name matches the constructors parameter name.
  5) If you are using automatic module loading, ensure the search path and filters are correct.​

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jun-2015 00:00

Hi Narasimha,

You can check how to use Ninject with Sitefinity here.

I have created an MVC widget controller using a service loaded with Ninject.
I have the following service and controller:
Service:

Copy Code
public class NewsItemModelsService : INewsItemModelsService

Controller:
Copy Code
[Inject]
public NewsWidgetCustomController(INewsItemModelsService modelsService)
    this.ModelsService = modelsService;

Ninject factory:
Copy Code
using Ninject;
using Ninject.Modules;
using SitefinityWebApp.Mvc.Models;
using System;
using System.Web.Mvc;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Frontend.Mvc.Infrastructure.Controllers;

namespace SitefinityWebApp.Mvc
    public class NinjectControllerFactory : FrontendControllerFactory

private IKernel ninjectKernel;

/// <summary>
        /// Initializes a new instance of the <see cref="NinjectControllerFactory"/> class.
        /// </summary>
        public NinjectControllerFactory()

this.ninjectKernel = new StandardKernel(new InterfaceMappings());

protected override IController GetControllerInstance(System.Web.Routing.RequestContext requestContext, Type controllerType)

if (controllerType == null)

return null;

var resolvedController = this.ninjectKernel.Get(controllerType);
            IController controller = resolvedController as IController;

return controller;

public class InterfaceMappings : NinjectModule

/// <summary>
        /// Loads the module into the kernel.
        /// </summary>
        public override void Load()

Bind<INewsItemModelsService>().To<NewsItemModelsService>();

Factory init, notice it is on application bootstrapped:
Copy Code
protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)

Bootstrapper.Bootstrapped += Bootstrapper_Bootstrapped;      

protected  void Bootstrapper_Bootstrapped(object sender, EventArgs e)

ObjectFactory.Container.RegisterType<ISitefinityControllerFactory, NinjectControllerFactory>(new ContainerControlledLifetimeManager());
           var factory = ObjectFactory.Resolve<ISitefinityControllerFactory>();
           ControllerBuilder.Current.SetControllerFactory(factory);

You can put the Inject attribute to the constructor you want to inject with parameters. Otherwise, the order is the following:
  1. Constructors marked with [Inject]
  2. Construtors with the most parameter
  3. Default contructor

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2015 00:00

Thanks for the details, I tried this today and it does not work for me. I compiled the code and I end up getting an error on compile which is as follows

Error33Unable to load assembly 'Cola.UI, Version=8.0.5710.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' : Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=8.0.5700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. General Exception (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131500)
ExceptionString:
System.SystemException: Unable to load assembly 'Cola.UI, Version=8.0.5710.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' : Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=8.0.5700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. General Exception (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131500) ---> System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.MetadataAttributesReader.PrepareMetaModelTypes(Assembly assembly)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.MetadataAttributesReader.PrepareMetaModelTypes(Assembly assembly)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.MetadataAttributesReader.ReadMetaModel(Assembly assembly)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.AttributesMetadataSource.<>c__DisplayClass1.<FromAssembly>b__0()
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.AttributesMetadataSource.CreateModel()
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.MetadataSource.GetModelCore(MetadataContainer old)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Sdk.Enhancer.Enhancer.CrossDomainRunImpl(AssemblyLoader assemblyLoader)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Sdk.Enhancer.EnhancerBase.CrossDomainRun()C:\TFSLocal\COLA\UI\Cola.UI\obj\Debug\Cola.UI.dllCola.UI

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jul-2015 00:00

Hi Narasimha,

I doubt the error you are receiving is connected with the Ninject sample. It is an assembly references error. Please, check the referenced Telerik.Sitefinity version, as well as, from where it is read - the project bin folder or from nuget packages.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Nov-2015 00:00

I have the same problem on my project, after changing the Telerik references from /bin folder to Nuget packages.

The oddest thing is that if I comment the NinjectControllerFactory that inherits from FrontendController Factory it builds successfully the solution.

The error seams to be thrown by OpenAccess enhacer.exe

I'm using Sitefinity Version=8.0.5710.0.  Have no idea why it needs Version=8.0.5700.0. There is no reference to it throughout the project, neither in web.config

This is my error:

[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0: Unable to load assembly 'SitefinityWebApp, Version=8.0.5710.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' : Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=8.0.5700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. General Exception (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131500)
[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0: ExceptionString:
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0: System.SystemException: Unable to load assembly 'SitefinityWebApp, Version=8.0.5710.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' : Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=8.0.5700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. General Exception (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131500) ---> System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
4>C:\Development\TerminalManagement\mytemporaryalphawebsite\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.MetadataAttributesReader.PrepareMetaModelTypes(Assembly assembly)
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.MetadataAttributesReader.PrepareMetaModelTypes(Assembly assembly)
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.MetadataAttributesReader.ReadMetaModel(Assembly assembly)
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.AttributesMetadataSource.<>c__DisplayClass1.<FromAssembly>b__0()
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.AttributesMetadataSource.CreateModel()
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.MetadataSource.GetModelCore(MetadataContainer old)
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at Telerik.OpenAccess.Sdk.Enhancer.Enhancer.CrossDomainRunImpl(AssemblyLoader assemblyLoader)
4>[PATH_TO_SOLUTION_FOLDER]\obj\Debug\SitefinityWebApp.dll(-1,-1): OpenAccess Enhancer error 0:    at Telerik.OpenAccess.Sdk.Enhancer.EnhancerBase.CrossDomainRun()

Could you please help me? Many thanks!!

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2015 00:00

Hello Vladimir,

Please, try resolving the issue using a binding redirect:
http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/knowledge-base/details/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-error-when-upgrading-to-sitefinity

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Apr-2016 00:00

Actually, sitefinity never calls GetControllerInstance method. I still did not find how to make any container to work correctly  within sitefinity. 

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Apr-2016 00:00

Hello Kyrylo,

You still have to add the ninject module registration:

protected void Bootstrapper_Bootstrapped(object sender, EventArgs e)

// DI binding
            ObjectFactory.Container.RegisterType<ISitefinityControllerFactory, NinjectControllerFactory>(new ContainerControlledLifetimeManager());
            var factory = ObjectFactory.Resolve<ISitefinityControllerFactory>();
            ControllerBuilder.Current.SetControllerFactory(factory);

public class NinjectControllerFactory: FrontendControllerFactory

private IKernel ninjectKernel;

public NinjectControllerFactory()

ninjectKernel = Telerik.Sitefinity.Frontend.FrontendModule.Current.DependencyResolver;
            ninjectKernel.Bind<IAuthorService>().To<AuthorService>();

protected override IController GetControllerInstance(System.Web.Routing.RequestContext requestContext, Type controllerType)

if (controllerType == null)

return null;

var resolvedController = this.ninjectKernel.Get(controllerType);
             IController controller = resolvedController as IController;

return controller;

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Apr-2016 00:00

Hi Thank you for the code.

I was able to make this work by switching the registration from

Bootstrapper.Initialized += (obj, ev) =>                              if (ev.CommandName != "Bootstrapped") return;
          -- do the registration 
to

Bootstrapper.Bootstrapped += (obj, ev) =>  
  -- do the registration

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.
J

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Apr-2016 00:00

Hi Jayson,

I am glad you have managed to make it work.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jul-2016 00:00

Hi everyone,

I was developing one custom widget and had the same issue so I have followed this forum but still I am facing the same issue.

Can someone help me how to solve this issue?

FYI.

drive.google.com/open

Please find the file here.

Thanks,
Balu

Hi Balu,

What is the exception and stack trace that you get? The code in the Global application class seems correct.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik by Progress

Hi Nikola,

I was getting below exception message.

An exception of type 'Ninject.ActivationException' occurred in Ninject.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: Error activating ICorticonFormModel

Activation path:

1) Request for ICorticonFormModel

Suggestions:

1) Ensure that you have defined a binding for ICorticonFormModel.

2) If the binding was defined in a module, ensure that the module has been loaded into the kernel.

3) Ensure you have not accidentally created more than one kernel.

4) If you are using constructor arguments, ensure that the parameter name matches the constructors parameter name.

5) If you are using automatic module loading, ensure the search path and filters are correct.

Thanks,
Balu

Hello,

You do not have the Bootstrapped event attached to:

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik by Progress

Hi Nikola,

Thank you. I have attached the Bootstrap event in my  Global.ascx.cs file.

Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Initialized += Bootstrapper_Initialized;

Thanks,
Balu

Hello Balu,

In your case, you need to attach to both events, since you execute code in both:
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Initialized += Bootstrapper_Initialized;
and

In the current implementation the Bootstrapper_Bootstrapped handler where the Ninject factory is registered is not executed at all.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik by Progress

Hi Nikola,

Thank you so much. My issue got resolved and widget is working as expected.

Thanks,
Balu

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jul-2016 00:00

Hi Balu,

I am glad the issue is resolved.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik by Progress

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2017 00:00

Hi ,

i am getting error with ninject when sitefinity upgarded from 6.0 to 9.2 

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jun-2017 00:00

did you happen to resolve this? I'm trying to use DI in SF 10 to pass a service dependency into my Feather Widget MVC Controllers, but I'm getting a similar error of 

the documentation I've been able to find on this is sparse and inconsistent, anyone else been able to get DI to work with SF 10? Either with Ninject, Autofac, or Unity (all of which are apparently present!)

thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Sep-2017 00:00

Hi,

I am new to Sitefinity.  I am trying to deploy an old sitefinity site on another system and am getting the following runtime error:

Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Telerik.Sitefinity.Mvc.ISitefinityControllerFactory", name = "(none)". Exception occurred while: Calling constructor LendNationSitefinity.NinjectControllerFactory(). Exception is: NullReferenceException - Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ----------------------------------------------- At the time of the exception, the container was: Resolving LendNationSitefinity.NinjectControllerFactory,(none) (mapped from Telerik.Sitefinity.Mvc.ISitefinityControllerFactory, (none)) Calling constructor LendNationSitefinity.NinjectControllerFactory()

How do I resolve the above error?  Is this because of a missing library? 

This thread is closed