Change Sitefinity Project Name

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 11:52

Change Sitefinity Project Name

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jul-2015 00:00

Hi All,

I'm rather new to Sitefinity and to save some time my company purchased a prebuilt database and template from the Sitefinity Marketplace.

We've being doing a lot of development on the database and have just got round to testing the security and SMTP settings to find out that the notification emails use the original database and template name rather than the website name.

From what I can tell this information is taken directly from the configuration files for the Project Name field.

Is there a way of changing this Project Name easily without causing a large amount of issues within the database? 

If not is there a way of essentially copying the website data to a new project that has been created with the required Project Name?

Many thanks in advance, 

James

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jul-2015 00:00

Hello James,

Changing the Project name would cause the site to not function since this is how the project connects and authenticates against its database. If the name is changed there have to be substantial changes in numerous database tables' fields. It is used by each content provider for the generation of the provider name. This is done dynamically, so each module needs access to information when the project is run. This is why the information about it is contained in so many tables.

We have submitted the story as a feature request in our Feedback portal. You could find the feature description on the following URL.

Allow changing the projectName for a Sitefintiy project

As a possible to solution you can change the default template for form responses and hardcode the new project name. Please check the following blog post for more detailed information.

Changing the default template of email notifications for forms responses

Regards,
Velizar Bishurov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Feb-2016 00:00

Hello,

As we are faced with this as well, I was wondering if there is still no way to set a custom "Site Name" or similar in configuration? I have always been baffled as to why the application name is hard-code in several SF tables, and not stored in a central table with ID references elsewhere. 

Also, what is the point of using this immutable value by default in email templates? I don't think anyone wants emails from the SitefinityWebApp Team going out ;). 

Is our only current solution to change each email template and hard-code in our actual site names?

Thanks for any insight.

This thread is closed