Development process for a Dev, Test and production environme

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:09

Development process for a Dev, Test and production environment?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Aug-2015 00:00

After watching many of the videos and reading the documentation  it is still unclear to me how the dev and deployment process should work in a Dev/Test/Production environment.  

In all the videos I've seen the demonstrator seems to be deploying the custom module or widget from the visual studio environment. 

In my world there is no way my Visual Studio would ever have contact with the production or Q/A sites. What I need to understand is the process for developing a widget in my dev environment and then deploying just that widget to the Q/A and Prod environments.. Is there a document/example/video that illustrates this?

TIA

J

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Aug-2015 00:00

Hello John,

As far as I understand you have your project on a development server, test server and on a production server. After you make some changes in the project for example on the development server you would like to move these changes to the production server.  

If so, you can use our Site Synchronization module in order to synchronize any type of content between different environments as it is described in this article from the Sitefinity documentation. You can also check this video on how to work with the Sitefinity SiteSync module.

If the Site Sync tool is not an option for you, the best way to move the changes from the development to the production server is to copy the project and the database from the development to the production server and then fix the connection string to point to the database on the production server.

Regarding the custom module, if you have created the module using Module Builder in your development environment, you can export the structure of the dynamic module and the import it in your production environment. Please refer to the following article for more details about this.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed