Navigation menu and Controlling URL for custom content.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:02

Navigation menu and Controlling URL for custom content.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2015 00:00

Hi,

We have created a module named “LocationsModule”. A Custom Content under this module is created named “LocationsContent”. It contains list of all the locations, for e.g. A, B, C etc. with the respective fields such as title, address etc. To view the content types, a page is created by dropping the content widget i.e “LocationsContent”  (Not creating separate pages for every location), name of the page is, say locationPage. So to view locations A, B, C URLs will be: /locationPage/A,  ../ locationPage/B.

Few questions:

• How we can add all the items URLs for this Location custom content into site navigation? i.e locationPage ->A, locationPage ->B, locationPage ->C.
  • Is there any setting available in sitefinity navigation control to achieve this? Or we need to create Dynamic Navigation user control in sitefinity?
    We further categorized the Location custom content into two categories based on Geography, “Area1” and “Area2”.E.g.
    Location1 -AreaA
    Location2 -AreaA
    Location3 -AreaB
    Location4 -AreaB
  • The urls should be
    /AreaA/Locations/Location1
    /AreaA/Locations/Location2
    /AreaB/Locations/Location3
    /AreaB/Locations/Location4
  • We tried using the Locations List and filtered out the locations for AreaA/ and AreaB/ using the filter expressions. docs.sitefinity.com/filter-expressions-for-content-items.
  • But under AreaA/ we do see that the URLs for Location3 and Location4 which are actually AreaB do exists while we expected that they should be a 404 page. i.e. /AreaA/Locations/Location3 and /AreaA/Locations/Location4 pages should give 404. 

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2015 00:00

Hello Abhijeet,

In order to create a navigation to all the Items, as they are not separate pages but automatically generated - you can use a properly styled ListView of the widget with template showing the Titles only.

Regarding the sub categories, in order to achieve this using the out-of the box functionality, I would recommend you to create separate Area (add another level) in the Location module and the Locations to be separated by Area (e.g. Location > Asia > Japan, China,... ; Location > North America > USA, Canada.... )

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed